Author Topic: Need a custom jig blank with a specific bore size?  (Read 420 times)

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
Need a custom jig blank with a specific bore size?
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »
Im doing my yearly run of jig blanks (for the year most likely anyway unless they sell like mad) - and occasionally get someone wanting a jig with a special bore - basically anything other than the standard .625-.626" - and I thought since I was running them now - I should post up and let people know I am running blanks, and if you want a blank in a non-standard size - NOW is the time to speak up.  Ill be able to do that now and have the blanks back from heat treat in the next month-ish.

I have reamers for a lot of the more commonly requested sizes (.610, .615,.618,.619,.621,.622,.623") but other sizes are possible - just a matter of what size and what tooling I have, or have to get.

Typically for a custom bore size I usually charge an extra 30-50 depending on size...  but since Im set up and running, I should be able to keep it more in the range of 10-30 extra.

If anyone is interested in a specific size, EMAIL me with the details and Ill see what I can do.

Thanks!
Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Scott Ward

• Custom Call Maker
  • Steelbyrd
Re: Need a custom jig blank with a specific bore size?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 05:12:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Wade. 
Steelbyrd

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:02:08 AM »
Wade, I already have my 'larger bore' jig, though I appreciate you posting this as I might have you build a replacement next season.

However, my mandrel in this larger bore just does not work well. This is for an 11/16" bore call. I did not see any options on your site in that size, but would it be possible for you to turn down a 3/4 dia #2mt mandrel to the 11/16 dia? I was not sure if there is enough meat on a larger mandrel to turn down to the smaller dia.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• Custom Call Maker
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:08:47 AM »
I will have to look, but I dont think there would be the meat in the petals to take it and stand up to much use - if it was able to be done.

Getting a collet chuck would allow you to run the EA series, which could be cut down to 11/16.

Email me if you dont hear from me by tomorrow night. :D  I have some-timers disease...  without an email - sometimes I remember - sometimes I dont :P

On the jig blanks, keep in mind it seems my blank runs - the last three runs - have been once a year - so timing can be everything :D  And I did get more blanks this time than I have in previous years...  so it could be longer - just sort of depends on sales.  Fingers crossed I have to get more run in 6 months  :2up:

Cheers
Wade

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 11:08:55 PM »
Looked at the EA series and it would be a winner with my collet chuck. I sent you an email via your website.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• Custom Call Maker
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 12:19:43 AM »
Cool!  Ill reply there...  I did check the EXM750 today and there just isnt the meat there to pull it off... but the EA series is a cake walk. :D Ill reply to your email here shortly.
Wade

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
Got the custom mandrel. Excellent! Cannot wait to put it to use. Thanks much Wade.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• Custom Call Maker
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »
Good deal!  Hope you enjoy it and it works well for you!

Also got all the jig blanks run and ready to head to heat treat on Thurs... I will have a few odd-ball sizes in inventory in case the need arises for some lucky person.  I will have the available sizes listed on the website - http://www.webfootcustomcalls.com/wfcccart/jigs/duck_jigs/CDJ1 - when they get back from heat treat and I can mic the bores and see where they ended up after heat treat.

Cheers!

Hope all of you out there "chasing whitey" are finding some shooting!  Sounds like an early start to the migration this year.

Wade