Author Topic: River Cane  (Read 1867 times)

C Chapman

River Cane
« on: January 26, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »
After really enjoying making a wingbone call before Christmas, I was itching to make another call.  Without a source to easily get turkey wings due to the season being closed here in PA, I asked a buddy who does a lot of goose hunting to save me a few wings.  He followed through and gave me several wings.  After removing the wingbones from the wings, I quickly noticed that the goose wing bones are different that the turkeys in their shape.  After doing some research, I have decided to try to make a Jordan yelper using the small bones of the goose as the mouthpiece.  Now I am looking into sources to get river cane.  Do most people harvest and dry their own?  If so, how long does it typically take to dry, if cut and hung to air dry?  If people purchase it, is there places online that people buy it or brick and mortar hobby/craft stores?  I am not looking for people's secrets, only looking for some insight that might help me.

Thank you in advance.

Cody

Offline S Bishop

• New Forum Member
Re: River Cane
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 06:12:42 AM »
I make around 40 cane yelpers each year. I find it best to let them air dry in dark place for 6 months if u cut them green. Find dead ones thats not brittle and u can pretty much start working them within week after u cut to length. Others may tell u different but u can heat cure them also. If u have no source to find any pm me and I send u few

C Chapman

Re: River Cane
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »
Thank you for the information.  I found some and have some cut to be dried.