Author Topic: 3 jaw vice  (Read 2211 times)

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
3 jaw vice
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:17:26 PM »
i purchased a lathe from harbor freight 10" x 18" mini lathe. can i get a 3 jaw chuck to fit that lathe. i need it to open 4 inches to make pot calls. it has a MT-2 taper on it. i have looked on line. with no chuck to be found.
dannylang

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
Re: 3 jaw vice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 12:27:30 AM »
A 3 jaw check doesn't require a MT2 taper....it threads on the spindle.  Look at the spindle thread in the manual then look for a 3 jaw chuck that has those threads.  Next read the specs on the chuck to see what the max opening diameter is.  There are also different jaw configurations to think about to get the required size of opening.

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »
As well... from what I remember seeing over the years, youre more likely to see 4 jaw scroll chucks rather than 3 jaw.  (likely because most turning blanks come square instead of round.  So if youre not finding much when you search for 3-jaw...  you might change to searching wood working tool sites for "lathe chuck".  Im not familiar with all the brand names off the top of my head... but One-Way Barracuda and I think maybe PSI pop into my head - and I think they are all 4 jaw scroll chucks.
Wade

www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:01:24 PM »
3 jaws are typically for metal. 4 jaws are typically for wood.
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 06:53:02 PM »
thanks fellows
dannylang