Author Topic: 3 jaw vice  (Read 2100 times)

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
3 jaw vice
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:40:11 PM »
 I AM HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING A 3 JAW VISE TO FIT MY LATHE, I HAVE THE HARBOR FREIGHT SMALLER LATHE. I NEED THIS VISE TO BE ABLE TO FIT A 4" POT TO TURN, PLEASE HELP ME.
DANNYLANG

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: 3 jaw vice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:26:50 PM »
What you need is a lathe chuck to fit the 1X8 thread on your lathe spindle. A chuck can work but there are better (maybe) and less expensive ways to support your pot blank for turning. You need to study the tutorials section on making pot calls and watch some  video's. One easy way to support the pot blank is to drill and tap a center hole (I use 3/8x16 ) and convert the faceplate that came with your lathe to a screw chuck.
To convert the faceplate just screw the faceplate to a block of wood and then turn the block round, drill and tap (to match your blank) a center hole through the block. Now face the block so that the outside surface is perpendicular to the hole. From the back side, screw a bolt through the block so that about an inch sticks through. Now you have a stud that your blank will screw onto. Now turn your blank round. You can also use an expanding mandrel to accomplish the same thing but you will need a collet chuck to hold the mandrel.
Here is one video to get you started:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:38:59 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline JP ( liljohn ) Wilkinson

• New Forum Member
  • Soggy Bottom Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »
I use this same method. The difference in mine is. I use a bottle stopper mandrel to thread my blank up on.

JP

B.Meuchel

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 12:00:37 AM »
Your jawed chuck doesn't need to go the full 4". Check this out.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,7123.0.html

Best advice I can give is read some tutorials, read 'em again and take lots of notes. If you are having trouble finding them, when you go to the turkey call section they are near the top in orange.  :bigup:

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:51:17 AM »
I would suggest a 4 jaw over a 3 jaw.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls