Author Topic: Drill will not stay on Shank  (Read 220 times)

Offline Steve Derouen

• New Forum Member
Drill will not stay on Shank
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:44:51 PM »
I bought a MT2 1/2 drill from HF, while turning the drill comes off of the shank. Is there anyway to seat it so it stays on and don't fly off?

Online LagrueCustomCalls

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Drill will not stay on Shank
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:46:09 PM »
Steve, you can seat it by first cleaning the taper and inside of the chuck with alcohol or lacquer thinner. Then freeze the taper in the freezer for a few hours. I then heat my chuck on top of my radiator shop heater that gets to about 200 degrees to heat it up.

Once everything is at temperature, put the chuck nose down on the bench (gloves-its hot!) and the drop the cold taper down into it. I give it a tap with my small brass hammer to seat it a little further.

Let the temps come back to normal and it should stay put if you don't abuse it.

I'm not sure this is the 'approved' method for this piece, but this is how we seat tapers in machinery at work, so I used it on my chuck.

PS- don't put a cold taper into your lathe head/tailstock!
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Drill will not stay on Shank
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 12:18:42 AM »
I am going to suggest getting a Jacob's chuck and using a Silver and Deming drill bit set from Harbor Freight for a starting set. A morse taper drill bit sounds pretty dangerous to me.

Using a Jacob's in the tailstock, you will probably need a 4-jaw chuck to hold your wood on the headstock.

I drill most of my blanks on a drill press, but center drilling is MUCH more accurate on the lathe.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls