Author Topic: Lathe issue  (Read 2540 times)

Offline JamieHenthorn

• New Forum Member
Lathe issue
« on: January 04, 2017, 08:45:24 PM »
Got a new harbor freight late for Xmas, motor went out of the old one. Made a duck call barrel last night and when I flipped it to shape the mouth pice it had a lot of wabnle and was obviously not centered.....any ideas what the issue is. Was turning on a 5/8 expanding mandrel.....had no issues with the old lathe.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Lathe issue
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 12:06:15 AM »
Your options are connection points to get from the headstock of the lathe to the mandrel, or the lathe headstock is off center.

To help answer the first one, we need more information about how your mandrel is attached to your lathe.

One way to look at the second, is to insert the two point to point MT2 headstock and tailstock points in the lathe and see how they match up when brougnt together.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

ben

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »
Like Vince said, does the mandrel run true with nothing on it if it does and then probably the tail stock live center is off from the head stock center and wobble is caused by that. When turned using it as a support when the barrel is flipped or change ends it makes it off center thus the wobble.

ben

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:47:38 PM »
I would bet that you are dealing with an oversize bore.  Despite one end of the mandrel expanding... the other does not.  So if the bore is oversize (on one end, both ends, or all the way through) - it can sit on the mandrel cockeyed, and though the mandrel will expand to hold, it is not truly held on center.

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »
Very good point Wade.

I hope Jamie comes back soon and lets us know more.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline JamieHenthorn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 02:53:13 PM »
Checked the spindle comming out of the headstock and could only get a mark on a little over a 3rd of it. So I'm guessing it was off a little there and was magnified by the length of the mandrel. Then when I flipped the call it was off. Took it back and upgraded to the little nicer one. Now I need to get a new chuck and mandrel.