Author Topic: What would you want from a new public jig?  (Read 185 times)

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
What would you want from a new public jig?
« on: December 10, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »
If we were to design a new public jig (to become the PJ3) - what kind of features would be beneficial for it to have?

Such as:
- Tone board length (back of cork notch to tip of board - longer/shorter/lots longer than the current PJ1 or PJ2)?
- Cork notch length and height (.165" x .375")?
- Upslope, Parallel, Slightly Upslope?
- Deck height taller/shorter (measured from bottom of tenon to sound board surface at the front of the cork tang)?

Please don't suggest a sound quality - such as "make it sound like 'such-n-such' call...." or "looks like insert another call companies name" - that is not how it works. We wont go and try and mimic another companies sound board.

Our public jigs are a STARTING POINT for you to work from to create your own sound. We aren't making jigs to give away a sound board design so people can magically become "call makers" - we design our jigs to aid in learning sound boards and save you some time getting a repeatable starting point. So knowing if folks are wishing the current jigs were longer, or shorter, or gave a taller deck height, etc... will help us come up with some designs that will really help you get to your own design.

Curious what people would like in terms of features! Feel free to post up here or EMAIL us via the contact form on the website.  Ive been contemplating a new design to add to the line up for a year or so, but just cant decide what would help people the most.  I was always a parallel reed design guy... but a few years ago started learning the upslopes, and am sort of a fan - but I keep coming back to the parallel when ever I start tinkering.

Ive always prided myself in being a "teach a man to fish" kind of guy, rather than "gibing him a fish" as you can probably tell from how my public jigs are designed - rather than just creating a tone board that everyone can use and start 'selling calls'...  and Im just hoping to come up with a design that can help people learn and will fill the gap between the PJ1 and PJ2 or take another step beyond those two.

My present gut feel would be to make a longer PJ1 (about .200" longer) and a taller deck height (about .010" taller - aiming for .345"ish) - but then I start thinking the same thing for the PJ2 - but I really dont know that I can afford to do two new designs.   :huh:

Thanks a ton for any input! And we hope you all have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
Re: What would you want from a new public jig?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 02:47:18 PM »
Going to go with a taller deck height and a longer flat nosed board in a parallel design... in case anyone is interested.  Will be the PJ3 on the website when I get them done. (probably late March if I were a guessing man)
Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D