Author Topic: Call with a history (pic heavy)  (Read 5656 times)

B Hoover

Call with a history (pic heavy)
« on: November 29, 2016, 10:57:27 AM »
I had a former coworker call to inquire about a few calls.  He told me he would like to have one of the goose calls made from a piece of oak he had.  I explained that oak wasn't one of the nicest looking woods for a call, but he insisted that he wanted this particular wood used.  When he showed up he had a story behind the wood, and a few others, that changed my mind immediately.  The oak was part of a buffet built by Joe's grandpa sometime around the 30's.  Through the years, the buffet took a beating and began to fall apart.  Joe's grandpa and dad carefully pulled the back off the buffet and placed it above a new table they had built.  Around 20 years ago,  Joe and his dad found that the back of the buffet had separated and feared it might fall on someone.  They pulled it apart and stored the wood for a future project.  Joe's dad finally told him last year to throw it out since he did not believe they would ever do anything with it.  Joe hauled off the pieces and saved them, wanting to make pistol grips or a gunstock for one of his dads guns.  This is one of the small pieces from the buffet.  I hope Leon enjoys it and the pistol grips.

I was extremely nervous when I found out the wood was actually veneered.  I made extremely light cuts as I wasn't sure the glue joints would hold.  I think it adds to the history of this wood.  Oak veneered goose call with oak guts.  Thanks for looking.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Call with a history (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 11:44:19 AM »
Very nicely done!  I am sure he will appreciate that, and probably give you some more of it to play with for
him!
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »
Great call and story!

B Hoover

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 10:07:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  I enjoy the calls with a story behind them.

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 10:39:19 AM »
Awesome!!  Calls with a story just have that much more meaning!