Author Topic: call finishes  (Read 8339 times)

Offline Gene @ Liford Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
call finishes
« on: November 28, 2016, 06:50:56 PM »
Hey everyone, I hate to beat a dead horse to death but I need some advice on call finishes. I currently use Tru-oil with CA glue over it but I'm unsure on how to seal the inside of a call. Or does it matter that it's not finished? I just started turning deer grunts and duck calls and I plan on selling them so I want my customers to have a good quality call that'll last. What are everyone's feeling about dipping in a spar mixture how difficult is it? What are some good finishes that I might be missing?  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: call finishes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:13:11 PM »
Dipping/soaking the call in "Watco" brand "Teak Oil" will give you a good base for whatever final finish you choose. The teak oil will seal the interior of the call. Just follow the directions on the can!

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »
Thanks Fred! Do I need to cut the teak oil with anything or just go slow with the dipping?

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 03:46:16 PM »
I've been dipping mine in 100% teak oil.  I've found that the hardest part is removing them from the soak slowly to get a nice even coat.  I've had some issues with oil leaving a drip mark on a few calls.  Maybe cutting it with some mineral spirits would prevent this?  Anyone else have some insight?
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 04:53:05 PM »
Michael, Teak oil is meant to soak into the wood, not dry on top of it. You shouldn't be worried about drips or anything. Let it soak for 12 hours or so, remove from oil, and wipe dry. Then a day or two to cure and you're done.

LifordCC, like I said above, don't worry about drips or any of that with Teak oil. Just drop it in for a 12 hour soak, remove, and wipe excess off. You shouldn't have to thin it, I never have.
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 05:40:58 PM »
David is right.  Drop in the call and let soak for 12-24 hours.  I tend to go 24 hours generally.  Remove it and wipe it down then hang to dry for a day.  Once dry, buffing it gives the call a nice sheen.  One of my favorite finishes.

Offline K.Ruge calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 11:20:19 PM »
IS Teak oil , Teak oil
OR IS THERE A BETTER BRAND TO USE .....

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 08:28:07 AM »
Do you all that currently use teak oil put multiple coats on? or just let it soak for 12-24 hours and then wipe it off?

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 08:33:04 AM »
I soaked some calls in it this morning for about 30 minutes then pulled them out. I am using Pecan wood which tends to be a lighter color. When I pulled them out they were super dark and I understand that teak oil is darker but will it lighten as it dries?

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »
IS Teak oil , Teak oil
OR IS THERE A BETTER BRAND TO USE .....
I use the "Watco" brand from either Lowes or Home Depot.  There are similar products (penetrating oils) but they are not called "Teak Oil".

Teak oil was developed to treat outdoor wood furniture and the wood trim on boats. The wood trim on boats is often "Teak" wood hence the name "Teak OIL".

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 09:19:12 AM »
I soaked some calls in it this morning for about 30 minutes then pulled them out. I am using Pecan wood which tends to be a lighter color. When I pulled them out they were super dark and I understand that teak oil is darker but will it lighten as it dries?

Teak oil will darken the wood some. Tru oil will also darken the wood. If you want to preserve the true original wood color you have to use shellac, spar, or one of the acrylic finishes. Teak oil is one of the few finishes that you can use on Cocobolo or other real oily woods.

Fred
Fred Roe

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 09:36:33 AM »

Teak oil will darken the wood some. Tru oil will also darken the wood. If you want to preserve the true original wood color you have to use shellac, spar, or one of the acrylic finishes. Teak oil is one of the few finishes that you can use on Cocobolo or other real oily woods.

Fred

I got my teak oil from Walmart, but I saw on home depot that the have what they call "Watco Clear matte teak oil" is that what you use Fred?

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »
I use Watco Teak Oil as well.  But, I haven't heard or seen it referred to as "clear matte" teak oil.

It'll darken calls a little bit.  But, I think all oils will do that since they soak into the wood.

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 11:59:16 AM »
Michael, Teak oil is meant to soak into the wood, not dry on top of it. You shouldn't be worried about drips or anything. Let it soak for 12 hours or so, remove from oil, and wipe dry. Then a day or two to cure and you're done.

LifordCC, like I said above, don't worry about drips or any of that with Teak oil. Just drop it in for a 12 hour soak, remove, and wipe excess off. You shouldn't have to thin it, I never have.

David, thanks for the reply.  I realize it is meant to soak in and preserve the wood from within, but i didn't realize that having some imperfections on the surface was ok.

So after the teak oil soak, a guy could either buff it out and get a shiny finish, or finish with some type of CA or other finish?  I'm assuming if I were to just buff the teak oil and be done, that would provide me the necessary protection from moisture to take the call in the field?
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 11:46:44 PM »
Correct.

I buff all of my oil finished calls. It doesn't get as shiny as CA or other clear finishes like it (poly, spar, etc) but I like the satin look.
David
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website