I spent a lot of time trying to get my first prototype sounding right, and while I got it sounding OK, it was terrible to operate. Heavy on the air and pretty difficult to control overall.
I was buying a few things from Wade's Webfoot page and saw he had some Speck guts available and bought a few sets.
This new proto is designed around those guts. Huge improvement. This call nails it. Easy to operate. I can do all the sounds with minimal air and it is very controllable. Those guts work well, and after a several different sets of modifications, I finally got the backpressure right!
I also made some construction changes with this one. Changed the shape slightly to allow some tolerances during construction and to account for the deformation of the O-rings and the gutsert. Finally, I built this one from Santos Rosewood as I knew it would cut and drill nicely as well as finish up nicely (much easier to work compared to the fiddleback maple that I used for my first prototype..). Of course, I had to add a little color with the bois d'arc cap and padauk stripe.
Really happy with this one. Will be taking it on a duck/speck hunting trip here in a couple weeks and hope to give it a real field test.