Author Topic: Sandhills hunt  (Read 964 times)

Offline B Hoover

• Custom Call Maker
Sandhills hunt
« on: November 14, 2016, 01:45:33 AM »
I spent a couple days this past week hunting with a friend and his grandsons at his cabin in the sandhills.  For those not familiar with the term sandhills, they are rolling grassland hills which cover much of the central to western part of Nebraska.  The area was considered desert by the first pioneers passing through the area, without so much as a single tree in sight.  Anyway, Dean's cabin sits next to two lakes connected by a small waterway.  The place was a duck camp started in the 1920's and the cabin was built in the 30's.  Dean has been hunting there since the 50's with his dad and grandpa.  The cabin is open on the ground floor with a kitchen, dining area and small living room.  The loft has 8 beds. 

We shot mixed bag limits of ducks each day.  I could have sat and watched all the variety of ducks all day.  We saw mallards, widgeon, pintail, wood ducks, greenwing teal, bluebills, redheads, buffleheads, mergansers, gadwall and one canvasback.  I had a great time and look forward to going back.

This is one of Dean's old Weem's duck calls.

This is one of the four boats used by the duck club in the 50's.

Enjoying the iridescence of a bufflehead.

A sandhills sunset.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men  Col 3:23

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Sandhills hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:37:51 AM »
Sounds like a great time!!
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 08:14:32 PM »

I've been through the sand hills a few times. You are right, I would have never guessed it to be a great place to go duck hunting.
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline B Hoover

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 09:46:10 PM »
Brian, as you know it's miles and miles of grassy hills, but there are tons of little lakes and ponds throughout the region.  We have hunted and fished the sandhills since I was a kid.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men  Col 3:23