Author Topic: Speck call prototype  (Read 4493 times)

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
Speck call prototype
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:37:54 PM »
Built my first goose call recently. We've got a wealth of Specks on our farm now. Frankly they outnumber the greenheads during the season, so we've been hunting them a lot the past few seasons. Only made sense to begin making a speck call.

Dad has been learning the speck call pretty quickly over the past few years. Me not so much as I really have not tried until recently. He has a couple speck calls from a few of the usual suspects that perform pretty well. As a result, he has been attempting to teach me to use a speck call via phone long distance. Pretty comical.  :rofl: At the same time, I feel again like I'm a pre-teen kid with Dad teaching me to use a call again.

Three big issues here:
- I'm trying to design and tune a call I really don't know how to use! (yeah, after 30 years of making duck calls, I know all the pitfalls and issues here)
- I only have examples over the phone and Youtube vids to compare to.
- My product production process really was not good. I need to work on drilling the blanks as that is where I had my issues. Definitely was not helped by building a prototype with curly maple and end caps. Next prototype will definitely be simple, with an easier working wood so I can work on the process.

Good news is it makes speck sounds and I can actually make speck sounds on it. Season starts soon, so we'll soon find out if I can actually bag a speck with it.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:41:39 PM by LagrueCustomCalls »
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Speck call prototype
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 10:33:10 PM »
Looks good to me!!  :bigup:
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline JP ( liljohn ) Wilkinson