Author Topic: Predrill insert  (Read 3543 times)

Micke_gt

Predrill insert
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:53:46 AM »
Hi

I just wonder how you do when you drill the insert blank before turning it to shape and use the drill as a blind mandrel?

Do you drill the tonechannel all the way ? Or could i drill lets say 2inch and use the drill as a mandrel and turn the 5/8 tennon and exhaust, then drill the rest of the tonechannel to get the desired drillstop of the tonechannel?

Regards micke

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
Re: Predrill insert
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:27:51 AM »
There are several tutorials on this subject.  I suggest you try to read them all.  Answers to your questions should be found there.  However, in the spirit of this forum, I will offer this as the way I do what you are asking. 

1) Using a 4" long by 1¼"/Sq blank, I drill a ¼" hole all the way to my desired depth - 3½"
2) To turn, I place the blank on a ¼" x 5" long bolt in my collet set up. I use a couple rubber washers at the collet end of the bolt to aide in holding the blank from slipping.
3) Turn to shape.  Everything should come to "center" if your machine is set up correctly and your ¼" hole was drilled half way straight.

I do all my drilling on the lathe.  The method I use is similar to other methods already posted in the tutorials I mentioned.  There are different ways to do this and they all are designed to get to the same end result. You'll have to put in a little research, do some reading and experimenting, and find what works best for you.
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:29:08 PM »
Here is a link to one of the tutorials mentioned above:

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,2974.0.html

There are others.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Micke_gt

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 02:48:31 AM »
Hi

Thanks for answers i did read the tutorials but i the problem i have is to get the tonechannel dept o the point i want.

If i drill the tonechannel hole to the dept i want and turn the 5/8 tennon with a taper fit it means that i have to do the taper fit so the tonechannel stops exactly where i have marked it to stop in my jig?.
If i take of a little to mutch on the taper fit it means that the channel will go past the marks on my jig.
And the channel will be too long ?
Or am i thinking wrong here guys ?  :yes:

Hard to explain im not so good att english so i try my best to explain what i mean.  ::)

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:25:03 AM »
Yes, it is difficult to understand exactly what you're trying to explain.  From what little I did decipher, you may find it simpler to fabricate an insert using an O-ring fit.  I used to make my duck call inserts with a public jig utilizing a tapered fit.  Since, I have had a couple custom jigs made and I strictly use an O-ring fit.  All my measurements are predetermined and exacting which allows for a quicker, more dependable outcome.

Best of luck.   
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

ben

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 10:26:53 AM »
Use this method or make a 3 legged version of it and use it and it will make no difference.

ben

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,4331.0.html

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
If you are just starting (which it sounds like) - drill it short and leave the tenon a bit long.  Turn it. Finish the tone channel to depth once you have mounted the keg in the jig the way you want it to be and have a reference as to where abouts the TC should end.

I will tell you, using the taper to reference location in the jig or anything where accuracy is important is a BAD idea.  Even if you are using CNC'd (Computer Numeric Control) parts - there will be enough variance from part to part or batch to batch that it will change your tone channel enough to have an effect.  I suggest referencing the exhaust face the way the link Ben posted shows.  Then you can use a drill stop when you get to trying to repeat something exactly and still reference the same surfaces irrelevant of the shape.

As well, if you are in fact just starting out, you will be experimenting with the tone channel length... probably A LOT, so where the first one lands is less important than being able to replicate it and accurately change it.  As little as .005" change in TC length can have a noticeable effect - but when youre starting out, dont worry about splitting hairs, just aim for 1/32" increment changes until you start dialing in on something.

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Micke_gt

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 03:45:20 AM »
Thanks for all information  :2up:
Now its time to practice on some scrap pieces

Regards /micke

Offline COsby

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »
I drill my insert after I put it all together (tennons or sleeving) but before I turn. I put the 5/8" side into the mandrel as far as I can and turn it slow.

As far as depth, I measure the length of the insert that that isn't finished, the length of my toneboard jig and subtract .5 inches. I have a stopper on my bit that I can adjust the depth if I want.