Author Topic: Checkering  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Jared at Woodruff Outdoors

• New Forum Member
    • Woodruff Outdoors
Checkering
« on: October 13, 2016, 04:28:08 PM »
After Reelfoot, I finally sat down again and pulled out the checkering tools.  I have always wanted to learn this art, but I never have the patience.  Finally the other day I decided to force myself to figure it out.  Here is the outcome.  I know I messed up in multiple ways, including all the overruns, but I am happy where this is leading.  I needed to get a whole panel under my belt so I could get the feel for the tools and see what works and doesn't work.  Thanks Brian for the cradle, for the posts, and for answering my questions.  Feel free to laugh at my mistakes! 

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
Re: Checkering
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
Looks great Jared! Doing a great job putting those tools to good use!  :bigup:
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

ben

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:07:15 PM »
I do not checker and cannot but you have a good start. Looks pretty good to me for a first.

ben

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 08:07:55 AM »
Jared, how are coming along on the other panels?

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Jared at Woodruff Outdoors

• New Forum Member
    • Woodruff Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »
I have had to put this one down for the moment to finish some other calls for customers.  The back side of this one has some lines scratched into it where I started to checker, but made some mistakes.  I will have to either sand those away, or start a new barrel.  Either way, I will post pictures as I go.