Author Topic: Holding tool for sanding toneboards  (Read 5236 times)

Offline COsby

• New Forum Member
Holding tool for sanding toneboards
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:11:31 AM »
Do any of you guys have something to hold your toneboard still while sanding / filing?

I've been thinking about taking a block of rubber and cutting out a little piece to hold the call while I file and sand.

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: Holding tool for sanding toneboards
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »
Think most folks leave it in the jig while filing/sanding and just clamp the jig in a vice.

I use a wooden jig to mark the slope and radius on my toneboard and then do the final sanding on a disc sander.  I'm a little backwards in the way I make my inserts...  :wacko:

Offline Ross Byers

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:02:36 AM »
I leave mine in the jig for the majority of the filing.  When I take it out of the jig i use a selection of files as well as a sheet of 120grit on a wood block for fine tuning.

Offline COsby

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:39:26 AM »
My apologies. I meant after the fixture, fine tuning. After the cutting / sanding on the jig.

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
I think this is what you need, its ok to hold the tone board in hand to file on but for fine tuning fresh cuts out of the jig you can pick up just where to sand, how much, and in what location.  Top has sticky back 3M 120, bottom is 80 for reducing cork thicknesses.
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »
You need something like Joe posted, you want a solid flat surface when sanding on your toneboards.  I use the Simpson Strong ties plates, you can pick them up at Home Depot.   I use self stick sandpaper on them.  I clamp them on the edge of my bench when using, the rest of the time they are on a shelf.  I have them made up in 80, 120, 220, 320 and 400 grit plates.   I use that many because it works for me and I tend to experiment a lot with different ideas.   

Marvin

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline COsby

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
Oh, that is completely different than what I had in mind but a great idea!
I'm going to get to workingon that tonight, along with a call display.

thanks again guys.

Offline Terri Clayton

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 12:49:09 AM »
What gauge plate will fit the cork notch

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 11:29:15 AM »
I have always had good luck with just leaving it in the jig, filing and sanding it flat, then hitting it with one of those really nice  fingernail files my wife uses, they are 180 on one side and 220 on the other and are wide and durable enough to fine tune without rubbing them on something, I can look at everything and make adjustments where needed and I also use them for scrubbing down cork thicknesses for double reeds too... to each his own.

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »
I have always had good luck with just leaving it in the jig, filing and sanding it flat, then hitting it with one of those really nice  fingernail files my wife uses, they are 180 on one side and 220 on the other and are wide and durable enough to fine tune without rubbing them on something, I can look at everything and make adjustments where needed and I also use them for scrubbing down cork thicknesses for double reeds too... to each his own.

Be careful on this approach.  As I understand it, files and bandsaw blades won't damage a hardened jig, but sandpaper will.  Over time, you may find that the slope has changed from the fingernail files. 

Offline Scott Ward

• New Forum Member
  • Steelbyrd
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »
I use a big roll of painter's tape laid down flat, putting my hand inside the hole, and the insert on the side of the roll.  I like working on the toneboard with it facing up.  I also flip it over like some others have mentioned here.
Steelbyrd

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »

Be careful on this approach.  As I understand it, files and bandsaw blades won't damage a hardened jig, but sandpaper will.  Over time, you may find that the slope has changed from the fingernail files.

I dont tune it on the jig with the finger nail file,  I leave it in the jig, file it and hit it with a little sand paper to just clean it up in the bore and in the cork notch.   I take it out of the jig before using the finger nail file to tune it.     Yes, do not sand hard in the jig.  Sorry if my explanation was not clear.