Author Topic: Drilling Exhaust Port in Tone Board  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Dan Smith

• New Forum Member
Drilling Exhaust Port in Tone Board
« on: September 03, 2016, 09:47:09 PM »
I have been trying to make my own tone boards for about 9 months now and I think I will have plenty of wood for the shop heater this winter. Beside the actual tuning of the tone board I am having a problem drilling my tapered exhaust port hole in the center of tone board. It seems to go to one side so I assume I do not have it straight with my drill press. Is there some type of fixture I should be using to hole it straight? I can't load pictures now as I am out of town for the weekend but this is driving me up a wall more that the tuning is because I know that takes time but drilling a straight hole. I am in need of some advice.
Thanks and this is a great place for info. I would not be anywhere in the call making if it wasn't THO.
Dan

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
Re: Drilling Exhaust Port in Tone Board
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 11:03:54 PM »
Dan, my advice would be to get yourself a 4 jaw chuck (or collet chuck) for your head stock and a drill chuck that mounts up to the tail stock in your lathe.  I do all my drilling on the lathe, and it keeps everything good and true. 
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »
Dan's suggestion is spot on. A collet chuck for inserts is great, and a 4 jaw is even more versatile.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
Here is the link to the collet chuck most of us use.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCDOWEL.html

Amazon sometimes has a better price on the same one. Check there also.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Dan Smith

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 09:16:16 PM »
I have already been looking at a 4 jaw chuck. But not for the reason discussed. But I think one or maybe the collet chuck will soon be my possession. Thank you for the replies.  As the old saying goes I could not see the forest for the trees and you got the old mind working again.
Thanks
Dan

birddog1

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 06:06:36 AM »
Also Dan use a center drill to start your drilling , if you use a regular drill it has a tendency to walk on you .

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 11:36:45 AM »
Here is a link to a center drill set: They work for starting straight holes. Harbor Freight also has an inexpensive drill chuck for the lathe tail stock.

http://www.harborfreight.com/center-drill-countersink-set-5-pc-60381.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-mt2-mini-lathe-drill-chuck-42340.html

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Dan Smith

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 08:22:56 PM »
Thanks Dennis for the info about the center drills I have heard of them but never used one. Also thanks for the links Fred it just worked out the wife and I have plans to go to Harbor Freight tomorrow. I wrote the part numbers down and I plan on having some new toys to play with when I get home. Who knows I my start seeing some straight exhaust holes soon.
Thanks again
Dan

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
Dan,

Can you report on your exhaust holes now?  Is it working better using a center bit and a drill chuck on the lathe?  I'm also looking at getting some center bits and step bits to make the process easier, so wondering how it's working for you.

Thanks!
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline Dan Smith

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 08:43:25 PM »
Michael I can tell you that using the center bit and the drill chuck has made my drilled holes closer to center than anything else that I tried and I tried a lot of things before I broke down and bought them. It was one of the best investments I made. Still working on tuning the board but the channel is consistently centered now. That is as long as you take the time to start in the center with center bit to start off with I would try to mark and make my center bit start on my mark now I just turn the lathe on and let it make my starting point for the center. Wish you the best of luck getting your holes centered.

Dan

Offline Moonpiecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 08:05:22 AM »
I use my 1/4 bit as a center when I first chuck it up.  I put it in my drill chuck with a little out the end just to get my hole started.  I use to drill without starting the hole first and would be off center more times then not as the bit will have play if not perfect.  Since I started doing this, haven't had any problems with off center drilling!  Same as a centering bit tho!  Collet chuck will really help drill inserts on a lathe tho!

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 04:11:41 PM »
Using a Center Bit is the best way to get the results you are looking for.. This will also help you keep your tone channel centered!
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!