Author Topic: Inserts  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Marcus@rco

• New Forum Member
Inserts
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:54:46 AM »
Hey guys, got a couple questions I'm a new call maker and wanted to know if you guys started off buying inserts or if you guys made your own I have a friend that is a welder and was gonna buy an insert and have him make me a jig using that insert or should I just start off by buying inserts and turning barrels I'd like to start selling them and put my own touch on my calls let me know your guys opinions. Thanks

B Hoover

Re: Inserts
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:32:58 AM »
I have a friend that is a welder and was gonna buy an insert and have him make me a jig using that insert

Marcus, the people on here are some of the best around and will bend over backwards to help you.  There is a wealth of information here.  Take some time to read through the tutorials and posts and take notes while you're doing so.  Then start making wood chips.  I'm not trying to discourage you, but learning how to make calls takes a lot of time.  I initially thought I would just crank out a call over a weekend.  It was two years before I made a duck call that I was satisfied with.  Everything affects everything on a call.  As far as selling one, I would say slow down.

The comment you made hit me wrong.  Are you saying you will buy an insert and copy the slope, tonechannel depth, exhaust, etc?  Someone may disagree with me, but that would be stealing from the guy who put in a lot of work figuring the insert out in the first place.  We all learn from each other, but to flat out copy another maker in my book is wrong.

Turning barrels and selling them with a purchased insert is fine as long as you are open and honest that you did not make the insert.

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:39:19 AM »
Hey, Marcus...

Lots of differing opinions out there as to whether it's better to start by buying inserts or to tough it out and learn to make your own from the beginning.  My opinion is that it's really up to you.  But, I would strongly caution you against buying an insert and having a jig made from that insert.  Inserts are what make a call a call.  So if you take an insert and copy it by having a jig made, you're basically stealing the measurements, etc. from that call maker and claiming it as your own.  You don't want to be known as "that kind" of call maker. 

In essence, there are two approaches to beginning call making.  Neither is absolutely right or wrong.

1.  Buy Echo inserts, or any other brand of finished insert and stick them in a barrel you've turned.  You're going to want to be careful here to market your calls correctly.  Meaning, you're going to need to state up front that a call your selling has a custom barrel and an Echo poly insert, for example.

2.  Learn to make an insert from scratch.  You can do this by buying a public jig to get a good start on the toneboard shape and then make tweaks to it to get the sound you're looking for.  Or, you can make your own wooden jig and freehand your toneboards.  Either way, it'll take you a lot longer to produce a finished call.  But, almost every single call maker would agree that this path is the most rewarding in the long run.

Either way you go, making duck calls is not a simple process.  Be sure you are able to produce a quality product that will stand the test of time.  You don't want to put something out there to the public that you'll be wishing you could take back years later.

Those are my two cents anyway.  Welcome to the forum. 

Offline Marcus@rco

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 09:51:43 AM »
Sorry for the confusion I didn't mean to make it sound like I was gonna copy someone else's hard work I would never do that. I guess what I was saying is I was gonna have him make me a jig because he can make one cheaper then I can buy a public jig for and I was gonna tweak it to my own specs I know it is gonna take a lot of work to get the jig the way I want it to sound. And once again sorry for the confusion I would never steal someone else's hard work I guess for now I will buy inserts and work on getting my jig made so I can start to make my own full calls.

Any suggestions on what I should use for tone board material or is it easier to make the insert out of wood or acrylic

Offline Marcus@rco

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 09:57:28 AM »
I got all the dimensions for the public jig and that's what I'm having him make me is a public jig I guess I was one the topic of inserts and typed that by accident.

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:32:16 AM »
I'm confused as to how you're going to make a metal jig when you haven't made an insert yet to know what your specs should be. 

If you're wanting to avoid the cost of buying a public jig, here's my suggestion that I think will serve you better in getting a toneboard you're looking to reproduce.  Make yourself a wooden jig based on the specs you think will give you the toneboard you're looking for.  Make some inserts using this wooden jig.  Chances are, you're going to need to make several changes to that jig before you get your sound right.  Sanding and reshaping that wooden jig will be much easier than reshaping a metal jig.  Once you get the wooden jig where you want it, your buddy can take that and copy it into a metal jig. 

Again, those are just my suggestions.  I'm not trying to be critical of your approach at all.  Just wanting to offer up some advice that may get you to your intended destination quicker and with less headache.

Offline Marcus@rco

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 10:57:47 AM »
James I really appreciate it I think I'll start with a wooden one and go from there. Now it there a difference between duck inserts as in types of ducks or is it all in how you blow the call?

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 12:16:56 PM »
#1.....learn to blow a call!!!!

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »
James I really appreciate it I think I'll start with a wooden one and go from there. Now it there a difference between duck inserts as in types of ducks or is it all in how you blow the call?

I'm with Stump...  By your comment, I'm going to assume that you are personally not a duck hunter?  Correct me if I'm wrong...  But if you don't know how to properly blow a duck call, you will never be able to tune and properly turn your own custom calls.  You may want to take a few steps back and pick up a duck call and get proficient with making a proper duck sound first.

To answer your question very simply, yes there are different calls for different species of ducks.  Mallards, wood ducks, teal, etc. all have different sounding calls.  Many duck sounds are also produced using a standards whistle (gadwall, pintail, teal, widgeon, mallard, etc.)

Michael

“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline COsby

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
I started with a webfoot straight jig. All it does is give you a cork notch. The tone board channel depth and shape is all up to you.
As stump stated, make sure you can blow a call. Honestly, that was my biggest issue. I just didn't have a lot of experience at calling or working a call over. Therefore I've put the call making on hold for a while. I'm still making about 2 a year for myself just to play with and learn, but instead of taking the time to stand over the lathe, I'm outside working on calling.

If you do call making correctly, it's a long, cussing filled road.

Don't get me wrong, I bought an echo insert to put in my first barrel and I keep a few on hand if someone's kid wants a call, but I won't ever sell one like that and I won't use one in the field.

Offline Scott Ward

• New Forum Member
  • Steelbyrd
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 02:00:48 PM »
I started out with a few prefab inserts - and now, I hand saw/file/sand by eye & ear, with not even a jig.  Do it for the challenge, etc.

Steelbyrd