Author Topic: Cocobolo  (Read 2679 times)

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Cocobolo
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
Cocobolo single-reed with oil finish.  This has become my favorite call shape for now.  Would love to hear some critiques from you guys.  What do you think about the size, shape, proportions, etc?

Offline JP ( liljohn ) Wilkinson

• New Forum Member
  • Soggy Bottom Game Calls
Re: Cocobolo
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 04:31:14 PM »
Cocobolo always make a beautiful call. Great job...

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 05:07:34 PM »
Thanks, JP.

B Hoover

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »
Beautiful call James.  I like the look of your all wood calls.  Good proportions.  When you start doing the bands again, you know the shape I like.  :whistling:

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 04:15:40 PM »
I like it James. Great proportions, appealing shape. I like the slight forward taper of the barrel end where it goes into the endpiece. I know that makes it more comfortable to hold.

Hard to judge on size. How long is it? Does not look too big? and even if it is 'longer/larger', a lot of people prefer a heftier call, and if that is what you like to make and offer, then that is awesome!  :2up:

Makes me think a lot of the proportions of my own calls. When I was turning in the 90's, I made two versions, a shorter 5" call which was quieter and suitable for days in the woods and days with bad overcast. I also made a 5 1/2" to 5 3/4" long call with a larger diameter endpiece. This call was much much louder, suitable for fields and clear bluebird days. The two calls had a completely different exhaust treatment, and I used the different lengths to make that happen. The longer calls now just feel huge in my hands and I've not turned any since I've been back turning. Funny what a 15-20% difference in length can make in the proportions and feel of a call!
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline ken hubbard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 08:27:21 PM »
  Gorgeous call James !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 09:47:03 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

B Hoover - I turned up a banded call this weekend.  Will post a pic soon.

Lagrue - The call is right at 5" long.  And I do like the way it feels in hand with the tapered "band" end of the barrel.