Author Topic: 12Ga File Handles  (Read 2178 times)

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
12Ga File Handles
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »
One of the go-to tools on my bench is a 1/8" thick Nicholson file. Sees regular use in several stages of call construction. I also have a few others that I use regularly as well. For years, I'd hack off a section of 1" oak dowell and drill a stepped dia. hole in it to hold the file. Fairly functional, but not exactly very nice.

I had some scraps that looked just right for making up some file handles and decided to make up some handles with them. While getting ready, I was trying to decide what to use as a ferrule. I had some high brass on the bench that I'd saved for another project (volume knobs on some guitars I was building) and thought it would make a great ferrule. I measured the inside dia and found it just happens to be exactly 3/4" too.

I started with a 6" long 1" turning square. This is Bolivian Rosewood. I use a lot of that for turning shift knobs for vintage sportscars.

To prepare the brass, I used a box knife to cut the plastic loose from the brass. I leave the plastic inside (a little worried about the glue letting go from that, but have not had a problem yet). I also poke the primer out. (Safety thing here. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Get  :helpsmilie:)

Next up, I measure the tang of the file at several places. See what drill bits you have that match several locations. Mark the center on the blank and drill one end in a stepped fashion to make a tight fit on the file. I also end up using a reamer to get that last little bit sometimes depending on the file.

Next, I mark the centers and turn the stock round. Then turn a 3/4" tennon on the end. Turn the piece around and put the 3/4" tennon in my collet chuck. I turn the shape to fit my own hand. Good opportunity to make tools that are personalized just for you! :bigup: I should have turned a couple glue grooves on the tennon on this one, but forgot... For a finish, I used Hut friction wax as it seems to take a beating pretty well like it sees on the bench.

Finally, glue the brass on the end and prep it for the file. To prep mine for the file, I usually drill it with a narrow step bit, test fitting the file loosely as I go. Then  you've got a finished handle ready for the file.

Here is one finished handle with a roundback file fitted.

I'm sure some others are doing something similar for their files. I hope maybe someone else tries this and makes good use of your scraps and some leftover brass!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:05:52 PM by LagrueCustomCalls »
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: 12Ga File Handles
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 06:58:13 PM »
Clever! I usually use a short section of copper pipe.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

B Hoover

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »
 :bigup:  Custom tools for custom work!

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 09:07:45 PM »

That's really slick!  What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.