Author Topic: Sealing  (Read 468 times)

Offline Nick Austin

• New Forum Member
Sealing
« on: May 30, 2016, 01:09:19 AM »
After you turn the call what do you guys like to use to seal the call. Also do you seal the inside and the outside of the call.

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Sealing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »
There's a vast array of ways to seal a call and it depends on what the material is and what the call is used for. There's different oil finishes and ca finish and a spar finish. My opinion is if your just starting find your self a good oil finish for the material your goin to mostly use and learn to apply it well. It's a good practice to finish the inside of your calls too .

Offline Nick Austin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:31:35 PM »
If I finish the inside of the call is that going to build the inside up to much to where I will have to reme it out again.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »
Teak oil. It is relatively cheap and you can get it at home depot.
I soak the call in it for about a day, pull it out, wipe it dry, then let it sit for another few days to completely dry.
There shouldnt be any build-up on the inside, as it is a penetrating oil.
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline JCurren

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:54:51 PM »
Then once you decide you like call making, order a quart of Velvit Oil from the manufacturer in Wisconsin (they are really nice to talk to).  It will cost you $25-$30 to your door, but it is great stuff and goes a long way.  Then if you want more sheen, get a buffing system like that from Beall.  I started with Minwax Wiping Varnish (my normal woodworking finish), went to Tru Oil based on what others were doing, Teak Oil like David recommended, and then Velvit Oil that a lot of folks use. I'm done with experimenting based on how foolproof Velvit Oil is to use and how the wood turns out. No finish can make up for improper sanding. I sand 120-150-220-330-400-600 which seems to work for me, then two coats of Velvit Oil, then buff and wax if I want something other than satin finish.
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett