Author Topic: Question about pots warping  (Read 1785 times)

Brad_23

Question about pots warping
« on: May 03, 2016, 09:42:38 PM »
will a pot warp due to over heating with a heat gun to remove scratch surface and sound board or what's the reason for it to warp? I turned a call yesterday and glued it up to try it I just did a quick sand on it and didn't apply finish.. Today I heated it to remove the the sound board and scratch surface to finish it when I chucked it onto the lathe it did not run true.. And the scratch surface would not set back into place level.. I bought the wood at a hardwood flooring type lumber store so I would think that it was plenty dry..

Offline rodney gillikin

• New Forum Member
Re: Question about pots warping
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »
yes it will warp, walnut for sure . don't put a lot of heat just enough to loosen up the goop. most the time it not dry enough or the wood move due to so much material being remove to fast creating heat which draw moister it the wood during the turning process.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:19:26 AM by rodney gillikin »
Pure T Momicked Game Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:22:03 AM »
A pot being hollowed out of a board is just not normal structure for the wood. Environmental changes (extreme heat, the heat vaporizing any moisture left in the wood....) is going to cause you issues.

If your wood has any moisture in it (you can't trust a company to guarantee a moisture content of a specific board) some folks like to turn pots and then let them 'rest' a day prior to applying finish, so you can chuck it back up to cut things flat again if need be.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Brad_23

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:23:02 AM »
That's what I have been using walnut.. And every pot I added heat to has warped.. I thought I was not chucking it back on the lathe the same..

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 05:04:03 PM »
Couple of things here one is definitely the moisture. Ambient moisture will be enough to make it warp when heat is added. When turning wood heat is generated and it releases moisture which causes the wood to expand and contract. I will cut the insides of my calls and let them set for a min of 24 hours this helps then stabilize some before I continue. Also the grain configuration will affect things too. Horizontal grain will have less movement than grain running vertical. On wood I have with vertical I like to stabilize it first.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Brad_23

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 07:44:11 PM »
Thanks for all the info!! Very helpful