Author Topic: Help with pot call  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Scottmessenger

• New Forum Member
Help with pot call
« on: May 02, 2016, 09:07:55 PM »
Hey guys I'm new to making calls I've got a sore top call made out of curly maple. It sounds real hollow. Not sure what the problem is my sound board is exactly 1/8th inch below my scratch surface. The bottom of the scratch surface is just under 1/2 to the bottom of the inside of the call. Any input as to what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. I can email or text a video of how the call sounds now. You can message me for my phone number. Thanks guys

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Help with pot call
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 12:15:44 AM »
Hollow tends to mean too much material was taken out, holes are not configured well on the bottom (size or placement), or it may be something with your attachment point of your pedistal, or a far other option (usually a dead sound, not hollow) would be your sound board slipped while it was drying and the sound board is resting against the wall of the pot now.

It could also be a situation where your striker is too heavy, either in your stick or the head.

The short of it, it could be all kinds of stuff.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:19:42 AM »
Scott, go down three thread post below this one and read "Really could use some help" by BradWest.

J
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Brad_23

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
There is a lot of helpful people here.. I was having the same problem as you.. I took all the advice that was given and was about ready to give up until last night I finally got a call that sounded good and to my likes..

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 04:35:21 PM »
Yep pots too deep.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 07:04:20 PM »
Thinkin outside the box here. Does anyone think thickening the sound board might help, as it reduces the cubic are inside the call?

Lon
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:55:54 PM »
Thinkin outside the box here. Does anyone think thickening the sound board might help, as it reduces the cubic are inside the call?

Lon

Thickening a sound board takes away vibration, so it will deaden the call (maybe very little, but it will). I don't think that will take away the hollow sound.

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Scottmessenger

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »
I'm wondering if I'm not giving enough time to try before trying it. I'm using e6000 glue it seems like most of my measurements were on point with what I've read on here. Should my sound board be just a hair under my scratch surface? Also I'm using a 3 inch 1/8 inch thick slate sound board with 3.5 inch slate scratch surface. I also bought pre rounded strikers and striker tops from brookside game calls. I've even tried the strikers off of my old zink slate calls. Cannot get a turkey sound at all. Could the would I'm using play a factor? I'm using soft curly maple

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 04:48:05 PM »
Well right off the bat your striker is too heavy. Turn the head down a little that may help. Let the new glue set over night. It will be ready to run the next day.
If you make a deep pot and the bottom of the call is too thin it won't matter what surface or sound board you use it won't run good. There is a lot of small things that affect the total outcome of the sound. Now when I do a double sound board I cut my pot deeper than if it was a regular single sound board. But I make sure I use a blank thick enough to take the depth so I maintain the same thickness as my pot with a single sound board.
Sound board may be a little close you might want to drop it but just a HAIR. Don't over do it.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:30:44 PM »
The striker matters just as much as the caller. If the striker won't run for you on your Zink, then I would not expect it to run on this pot you have turned.

VECtor Custom Calls