Author Topic: Pinning Bands?  (Read 3287 times)

C Ciuffetelli

Pinning Bands?
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:36:28 AM »
Hey everyone, I have decided I would like to start pinning my bands for extra security and durability. Previously I've been turning my tenon and letting it sit for a day or two then press fitting the band on with JB weld. I've also been cutting grooves in the tenon and roughing up the inside of the band for added strength.

My question is do I need to let the call sit for a day or two after I turn the tenon down to size before I pin the band on? Should I also be using JB weld in addition to pinning?

I've read the great tutorial done by Ben and I didn't see anything about letting the call sit before installing the band via pinning.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

ben

Re: Pinning Bands?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 03:36:17 PM »
My opinion is if it is a good interference fit it does not have to sit before pining. You may have to ream or sand the barrel bore at the band because the snug fit will probably shrink the hole a little bit.

ben

C Ciuffetelli

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »
Thanks Ben! I've actually had to sand the inside of the barrel a little at the band end on some calls due to a tight press fit.

BTW, thanks for making your pinning tutorial. It really helps the newbie to better understand the process.  :2up:

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:43:51 AM »
Although it never hurts to let them sit, I'm with Ben on this.  I press my bands on so tight that they shave wood as they are pressed on.  I ream them to 5/8" before pressing, and the reamer will absolutely take about 1/64" off the inside in the vicinity of the band when I ream them again right after pressing. 

I'd suggest getting 1/16" brass rod from a local hobby store for use as pins.  Cheap and easy.  You sand/grind one end nice and flat, deburr it with sandpaper really quick and you're ready to roll.  Go to McMaster-Carr's website and get yourself a 5/8" spiral reamer if you don't have one, get a 5/8" hardened machined steel shaft and make yourself a pinning jig to cradle the call with the shaft running through it.  Drill using 1/16" a bit down to the shaft (you won't hurt it), insert your brass pins and drive them down tight to the steel shaft with a small hammer.  Clip them off with wire cutters right by the band, then carefully peen the ends down with a ball peen hammer (don't use any other kind of hammer).  Peening the end of the pin expands it out in the hole in the band and will result in the finished product being totally invisible if you do it right.  After peening, put the call on your lathe's 5/8" mandrel and spin it at around 500rpm, then use a bastard file to remove the mushroomed brass from the top of the peened pins as the call spins.  Then sand at 220 and go through all the grits to about 2000, then use Brasso or other metal polish on the lathe.  Done right you'll struggle to ever find your pins in the finished band.

C Ciuffetelli

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:45:15 PM »
Aaron, I gave it a go after work and got awesome results! I decided to use solid brass pins on an aluminium band and the finished product looks great. It gives it this look of craftsmanship and attention to detail. I'll have to check out that website and order a 5/8 reamer. I definitely need it.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 12:09:30 PM »
Glad to hear it worked.  Copper pins look great with brass bands too.