Author Topic: "O" rings?  (Read 5427 times)

Offline copperheadcalls

• New Forum Member
"O" rings?
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »
I've never used O rings before, could someone tell me what their function is? And what size to use on a 5/8" turning?
Thank you
Robert

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
Re: "O" rings?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:22:30 PM »
O-rings are used on the guts to hold them together in the bore.  I believe there is a tutorial called the "Latta Method" for doing this.  The O-rings sort of eliminate the friction fit.  Additionally, for a 5/8" tenon, I believe the O-ring you're looking for is #111.

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 02:50:33 PM »
The general rule of thumb for O rings is to use an O ring 1/16" in diameter less than your tennon.

The O rings should be 1/16" thick as well.

So, for a 5/8" tennon, you would use an O ring that is 9/16" in diameter and 1/16 thick.   

O rings are normally sized by SAE number, so for a 5/8" tennon you would want an SAE 013 O ring.

The o rings you buy at the big box store are Bunna O rings.   They are horribly over priced and do not hold up well.   For calls, you really want to use a Neoprene O ring.  They last longer, and have greater resistance to chemicals and heat and cold.

We stock them in the forum store.  Just click the banner below.

Al @ THO Game Calls

Offline copperheadcalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 03:34:52 PM »
Thanks Al, Jeff for the info. Will be trying it out soon.

Robert