Author Topic: help on pot calls  (Read 2785 times)

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
help on pot calls
« on: January 25, 2017, 05:56:01 PM »
made my first calls yesterday, they had a good roll over, but the call seems to be dead, no sharp clucks or the cutting is not a sharp sound. sides are 1/4 inch thick, the bottom is 1/4 to 3/16 inches thick, and the pedistal is 1 1/4  inches in diameter and 1/4 to 3/16 inches thick, and the sound board is glass (single pain) about 1/8 inch above the slate. its a 3 1/2 inch call, and the wood is popular. i have 8 holes in the bottom that are 5/16 inch in diameter, and a center hole hole that is 1/4 inches. both calls seem to be baffled sound.PLEASE HELP
dannylang :helpsmilie:

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: help on pot calls
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
Were you sure to put spacers in as the soundboards dried?  Have you tried them since the glue had 24 hours to cure?  Last guess is the pedistal is too thick. Without inside photos, I am not sure I can add much more than that.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
what thickness does the pedistal need to be? its 1/4 to 3/16 of a inch thick.
dannylang

Offline rodney gillikin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:36:34 AM »
what kind of striker?
Pure T Momicked Game Calls

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:00:56 AM »
Danny, it's kinda tough to answer your inquiry with certainty.  My take on your read is this: ¼" side wall thickness may be too thick. ¼" bottom thickness may be too thick. Pedestal diameter @ 1¼" is probably okay but the thickness may be a bit on the thick side. Assume you are saying you have a glass-over-slate set up, this is okay with the exception of the .125" gap between the two surfaces. You may want to play with this dimension to decrease the gap.  Poplar is probably not the best choice of wood due to it's softness but then again, it can work.  Red Cedar, for instance, is a very soft wood and works great!  The number of holes in the bottom of your pot is a personal preference; 5/16" is fine.  One thing you did not mention is the size of the lip that your glass is sitting on?  The fact you have essentially made a pot call that is making some sort of sound is encouraging.  Make another pot and concentrate on your thicknesses. Take some measurements and note them for future reference.  Keep in mind as you make a pot call that the sounds coming from it are based off of vibrations throughout the call itself.  The wood vibrates, the sound board vibrates, the playing surface vibrates, your striker vibrates.  All this vibration coupled with correct dimensions of your call will eventually get you where you want/need to be.  Keep the questions coming.
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:08:15 AM »
I've never used poplar as a wood for a pot call.  Something I have found, which may be something to consider in your sound.  The softer and lighter of the wood, the more muffled and dead sounding it will be.   The harder and denser it is, the louder and crisper it will be.  The sound waves created by the surface from you striking it, are absorbed by the softer wood, and reflected more in the harder woods, in which they make the soundboard vibrate to produce the sounds your looking for.   You did not mention the depth of your call from the bottom of your soundboard to the back wall, or bottom of the call.  This "Volume" of air space is important to the sound created in the call.  Too much volume, the lower the tone, too less, and it will be screachy.  Think of it as a musical instrument.  Let's use brass as an example, a trumpet pruduces a much higher tone, than a trombone, which is higher than a tuba.  Catch my drift?  Understanding what influences your sound, will go along way in what you have to do to change to get your end result.  Hope this helps.

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 05:42:29 PM »
only using the popular, because i have a lot of it, from making box calls. using it to learn to make the calls before going to more expensive woods.
dannylang