The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Stabilizing Your Own Blanks

my thoughts on stabilizing calls

(1/3) > >>

Ozark Wood:
For a variety of reasons, life has kept me away from my lathe for over eight months and I ain't happy about that.  :mad: But, I'll be getting back soon and with some new ideas. I have done a lot of stabilizing but mostly for pens. My new venture will include stabilizing my calls. But, unlike what I see here, it seems most guys stable before turning. I think that is a backassward approach for a couple reasons. One, it wastes solution and, two, it may not penetrate completely on a large blank. I plant to turn then stable. If necessary it will go back on the lathe for polishing.
I see a lot of references to Cactus Juice and other commercial stable solutions. I make my own, which I think is better, for about 25% the cost of the commercial stuff. I'm not saying what my secret stuff is but anyone can research and create their own.
And, finally, I see setups using an acrylic lid on the vacuum pot. Puzzling. :huh: Most, or all, stable solutions contain a lot of solvent and that will lead to eventual failure of the lid. I can't see my stabilizing at work but instead go outside and watch grass grow for excitement. ::) Each to his own. Just do it. :up1:

FDR:
This post reveals that you have a lot to learn. I tried stabilizing after turning and found a lot of problems. Some include the distortion of the blank when subjected to the heat that is required to cure the resin. Another was the buildup (leaching) of resin onto the turning exterior/interior surfaces as the blank is cured. Nothing goes back on the lathe and runs true after stabilizing and nothing fits together as it did before stabilizing.  Those are some of the reasons that we stabilize first then turn. There are a lot more.

Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls:

--- Quote from: FDR on April 09, 2016, 03:13:03 PM ---This post reveals that you have a lot to learn. I tried stabilizing after turning and found a lot of problems. Some include the distortion of the blank when subjected to the heat that is required to cure the resin. Another was the buildup (leaching) of resin onto the turning exterior/interior surfaces as the blank is cured. Nothing goes back on the lathe and runs true after stabilizing and nothing fits together as it did before stabilizing.  Those are some of the reasons that we stabilize first then turn. There are a lot more.

--- End quote ---

^^ This ^^

Ozark Wood:

--- Quote from: FDR on April 09, 2016, 03:13:03 PM ---This post reveals that you have a lot to learn. I tried stabilizing after turning and found a lot of problems. Some include the distortion of the blank when subjected to the heat that is required to cure the resin. Another was the buildup (leaching) of resin onto the turning exterior/interior surfaces as the blank is cured. Nothing goes back on the lathe and runs true after stabilizing and nothing fits together as it did before stabilizing.  Those are some of the reasons that we stabilize first then turn. There are a lot more.

--- End quote ---

I learned a long time ago to avoid "resin" solutions. Heat to cure? I don't/won't do that. Sorry you have so many problems. I don't. Peace, Bro.

Michael @ RK Custom Calls:

--- Quote from: Ozark Wood on May 27, 2017, 01:10:17 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I learned a long time ago to avoid "resin" solutions. Heat to cure? I don't/won't do that. Sorry you have so many problems. I don't. Peace, Bro.

--- End quote ---

Who pissed in this guys Cheerios...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version