Author Topic: New vacuum chamber  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
New vacuum chamber
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:11:37 AM »
I have recently built my vacuum chamber.  I'm using a 10" PVC Water Line pipe for the chamber; it stands 12" tall.  For the bottom, I chose 3/4" thick PVC (12" x 12").  I used a router and cut a 1/4" deep groove for the pipe to set into the bottom plate and used pvc cement to seal it up. For the top, I chose a 3/4" clear acrylic 12" x 12".  I cut a 1½" wide round gasket to fit the rim of the chamber.  Currently using a Harbor Freight vacuum pump. 

I am getting fantastic results from spalted woods like Hackberry, Tamarind, Maple, etc...  I am having not so good luck with Claro Walnut.  After 10 hours of continuous vacuum at 29+ in/Hg", I'm still getting "slight" air bubbles out of the Walnut.  After some research, I'm reading that Walnut, in general, does not really like to be stabilized.  I have also read that some professional companies can get good results with Walnut. 

I am using Curtis' Cactus Juice.  I've read that the Cactus Juice does not have an effect of your vacuum pump.  I have a question for anyone who may have tried this?  Regarding the Claro Walnut, I'm wondering if replacing Cactus Juice with Teak Oil and repeating the same process will yield a better result?  My main concern with pulling Teak Oil into a vacuum is will this damage my pump?

If I attempt this, I'm thinking of turning a blank to shape, then pulling that shape into a vacuum with teak oil, allow to soak, then let it dry for a good period of time.  Since I will not place the teak oil soaked shape into my oven, I'm hopeful the shape does not change?

Has anyone attempted to pull teak oil into a vacuum?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:20:58 AM by Jeff @ Mutt Calls »
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: New vacuum chamber
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »
I have had great luck with black walnut in general. Using the Catus Juice.  Ow I have found the dryer the wood the better. I will bake my wood ahead of time to make sure it is dry. Let it cool and then stabilize it.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF