Author Topic: Can't seem to turn a clean call  (Read 3209 times)

Aaron J

Can't seem to turn a clean call
« on: March 03, 2016, 04:16:21 PM »
It may be the cheap wood I'm using, could be my cheap chisels. I have pot blanks on the way from a member here on the forum. I got anxious and just got 5/4 pine to play around with, not sure if that was a good or bad idea. I bought a sharpening stone and just tried touching up my chisels to get a decent edge on them. It seems like my chisels jump and bounce around and don't cut anything close to what I see videos of other using a wood lathe. I cut my blanks with a bandsaw thinking it would help, and it did. But turning the inside of the call seems nearly impossible. It seems like ive watched pot call tutorial videos 10x over and read page after page of information. I'm more than willing to put in the time and practice. I just want to make sure I'm taking the right steps and not going backwards.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Can't seem to turn a clean call
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 04:34:15 PM »
Sounds like a combo of both bad wood and dull tools. Which tool are you using to hollow the inside of the pot? A sharp parting tool works well and could be easily sharpened with your stones and /or fine sandpaper.
Some poplar from Home Depot would be a better practice wood.

Fred
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:38:15 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Aaron J

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:14:17 PM »
I was trying to use a bowl gouge, I have a different bowl gouge on the way, should be here tomorrow. I'll try a parting tool also to see if that works any better.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 06:33:27 PM »
That explains a lot. Nice tool but wrong application. Try a sharp parting tool. Easy to plunge cut with , makes nice square corners and making the ledge for the striking surface is very easy.

I assume that you found our turkey call making tutorials.
If not here is the link:

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/board,110.0.html

Fred
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:44:56 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Aaron J

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
Yes, I have seen the tutorials, and I'm sure I'll read back through them many, many more times haha Iv been trying to find a good video or article for what tools are best for different applications. That seems to be hanging me up a lot right now. This is all extremely new to me, so all this information is great, thank you.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 07:55:52 PM »
Your going to want to be able to sharpen your gouges.  Check out captin Eddie Castalin on you tube.  He has some great video on sharpening and diy sharpening setups.   

I use a stone to sharpen my skews and parting tools and a wheel and jig, like eddies, for sharpening.  I think most guys do the same.  I used a belt sander and various homemade jigs to sharpen for awhile.

I think a lot of guys have gone to carbide also.  No sharpening just disposable cutters.  You can find good deals on these tools on ebay. 

Learning to turn on pine is tough.  That could be a good or bad thing.  Good cause it makes you learn how to cut wood and not tear it.  Bad because you might be frustrated and lose the fun.  Quitting is the danger there.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

B.Meuchel

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:16:53 PM »
My advice would be to get a good beginners woodturning book, the one I got is called " a foundation course", it has plans for a good sharpening jig also. Once I read this book I couldn't believe I had been so lucky with the way I did things :hysterical: :no:

Scrapers and a parting tool are what you will want for the inside. Like Rick said, once I got some carbide tools it changed everything.
Also watch the angle you apply your chisels, it's different for most of the tools.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »
I agree with getting a better sharpening system, and getting some poplar or maple to turn.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Aaron J

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:37:05 PM »
Great information. I just ordered the book. I'll look at captain eddy on Facebook. I'd buy the carbide tools but I'm getting ready to buy a house, so I'll have to hold off on that for now and may just invest in a sharpening system. I'll wait to do too much more turning until I get my blanks in the mail, I assume they would be easier to learn on.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 10:16:58 PM »
I don't own any carbide tools either.  But if someone wants to skip sharpening they seem to be the ticket. 

The book and videos are a good idea.  Also you might look into a local turning club.  You can get loads of good tutoring.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.