Author Topic: Precision Lathe  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Matt@SaintCalls

• New Forum Member
Precision Lathe
« on: January 22, 2016, 01:04:30 PM »
Hi guys!

I've been wanting to upgrade my lathe from my hand-me-down Nova Mercury to a larger lathe.  Was pretty set on the idea of a JET 1221, but then I started to play with the idea of getting a precision metal lathe, because one of you very wise individuals mentioned that "you can't do on a metal lathe, that you can on a wood lathe.  But you can't do everything on a wood lathe, that you can on a metal lathe."  Something along those lines.

My question is, can I still use a tool rest and tailstock on a precision lathe just as I would with any other one?  I still want to be able to hand-shape my calls, while having the luxury of consistent tenons and straight cut-offs. 

I've done a little research on here, and didn't find much on it.  So before the "Search Nazis" mention anything, I apologize if I missed something. 

Thanks Fellas!
Matt
 :beer:

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Precision Lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 01:41:26 PM »
For a precision small metal lathe google "little machine shop" and Micro Mark". Both make an excellent machine. Be sure to look at the accessories offered.

I have a Jet 1221 and recommend it highly. It will do  anything in making duck calls that needs to be done.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Matt@SaintCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »
For a precision small metal lathe google "little machine shop" and Micro Mark". Both make an excellent machine. Be sure to look at the accessories offered.

I have a Jet 1221 and recommend it highly. It will do  anything in making duck calls that needs to be done.

Thank you!  I have been looking at Little Machine Shop, but I just found that Grizzly makes one that offers a little more without spending close to $200 in accessories.  I like the Jet, but for just a little more $$$ I'd rather get the precision metal lathe, as long as I can still put a tool rest and go about shaping the way I do now.

Thanks again for the reply!
Matt  :beer:

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »
Youll likely have to make a tool rest for it but that shouldnt be hard.

Keep in mind, you may have to have some ingenuity when it comes to fitting things to the spindle... like a collet chuck or MT shank mandrel.  Usually the tapers are larger, so yould likely need a sleeve... but most sleeves dont have through holes for draw bars.. and are hardened, so not fun or easy to try and drill through (thought it CAN be done).  The scroll chuck will be handy for sure,but remember, self centering scroll chucks are not known for their accuracy... and the cheaper the chuck, the worse you can expect them to be (which you can expect to find on the lower cost import machines).  General rule of thumb Ive seen on that is anything under .005" run out is pretty dang good unless its a high dollar 'adjust tru' type chuck.  So generically, holding a mandrel in the 3jaw will not be accurate if youre anal about that.  Yould be better with making or having made, a MT shank that matches your machines taper socket (guessing youll endup with #3 or maybe #4MT) with a threaded hole for draw bar, and have a 1"8 threaded stub on the end - and use your collet chuck when you want to hold a straight shank mandrel or keg tenon.

Things will be different, but with a metal lathe in terms of initial setup... but once you have employed your ingenuity, youll find there is much more a metal lathe can offer.

One thing you should do... is see the lathe in person... and make your tool post plan right there... you will have less room for your hands because of the cross slide/carriage and hand wheel.  So it might be a bit style cramping depending on the specific machine youre looking at.

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Carl Weston

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »
Hi guys my name is carl from ct I have Ben making call's for aprox 4yrs now all of my work is done on a 10" atlas metal lathe w/3jaw chuck I turn duck call's and turkey pot calls I haver turned any call's on a wood lathe so I can't  say how the to will compare  but I don't have any trouble doing any thing that I want to do I do use a tool post  and cutters to make all my straight  cut's I will try and post some pic of my set up if I can learn how I use a small piece of Alum. Bar stock for a tool rest for working by hand I have Ben looking at this form for about 1yr. I have got a lot of info from you guys I would like to thank all of you guys not to many call makers up this way thanks again carl

Offline Matt@SaintCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 04:14:36 PM »
Youll likely have to make a tool rest for it but that shouldnt be hard.

Keep in mind, you may have to have some ingenuity when it comes to fitting things to the spindle... like a collet chuck or MT shank mandrel.  Usually the tapers are larger, so yould likely need a sleeve... but most sleeves dont have through holes for draw bars.. and are hardened, so not fun or easy to try and drill through (thought it CAN be done).  The scroll chuck will be handy for sure,but remember, self centering scroll chucks are not known for their accuracy... and the cheaper the chuck, the worse you can expect them to be (which you can expect to find on the lower cost import machines).  General rule of thumb Ive seen on that is anything under .005" run out is pretty dang good unless its a high dollar 'adjust tru' type chuck.  So generically, holding a mandrel in the 3jaw will not be accurate if youre anal about that.  Yould be better with making or having made, a MT shank that matches your machines taper socket (guessing youll endup with #3 or maybe #4MT) with a threaded hole for draw bar, and have a 1"8 threaded stub on the end - and use your collet chuck when you want to hold a straight shank mandrel or keg tenon.

Things will be different, but with a metal lathe in terms of initial setup... but once you have employed your ingenuity, youll find there is much more a metal lathe can offer.

One thing you should do... is see the lathe in person... and make your tool post plan right there... you will have less room for your hands because of the cross slide/carriage and hand wheel.  So it might be a bit style cramping depending on the specific machine youre looking at.

Wade

Thanks Wade!  I just received my Sieg C3 and love it!  I couldn't wait to get it in, clean it up, and try it out.  Couldn't fit my old tool post on it, but luckily Littlemachineshop sells a tool rest that attaches to the post.  My tailstock morse taper says its a #2, but it won't fit my live center in it, so it looks like I'll have to get a sleeve like you said.  Thanks everybody for the help!

Matt
 :beer: