The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Other Items, Pens, Bowls, Forms

Red Oak Longbow Build-A-Long

(1/3) > >>

David @ Mad Duck Game Calls:
I guess this is the right place to post....

Here recently, I have been getting into building traditional wooden bows. I figured I would share the process I go through when making one.

This bow is going to be for my Uncle. Going for 31"draw at 50ish pounds. It is Red Oak. Red Oak is a tough wood to get bows from, especially if is not backed.

(Backing a bow = gluing a different types of material onto the back of the bow to keep splinters from starting)

This piece came from Home Depot. RO is about the only good bow wood you can get at Home Depot. The grain is extremely important when making these. I went through 50 + boards and came back with 3.

This piece was cut to 2" wide and 72" long. Red oak likes a wide bow, and with such a long draw length the wood needs to be long.

I will post more and more pics as progress goes on. Hopefully this will turn into a complete bow, and not a broken one. Lol

Here I have the handle area laid out. The grip portion is 5" and the fades (angled parts) are 2 " long.

I also have the limbs laid out. This is a pyramid style. It tapers straight from the ends of the fades to the tips. 2" (fades) to 1/2" (tips)

I also glued another piece of Red Oak on to thicken the handle portion.

This is as far as I have gotten so far. I am waiting for the glue to dry...

B Hoover:
Out of curiosity, David, are you making a laminated or selfbow?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version