Author Topic: Newbe question about inserts  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Dan Smith

• New Forum Member
Newbe question about inserts
« on: February 10, 2016, 03:17:29 PM »
I have been working on making my own tone boards for a few months now and starting to understand a little (very little) about them from reading all the info here that is in this forum. I was wondering does anyone use walnut for tone boards and then sleeve the walnut to match the barrel? If so what type of glue do you use.  I am asking as I have several feet of 1 X 1 walnut and it files slick as glass.  Do you think this will hold up in time. Thanks for your comments.
I will try and post a pic of what I am doing this has been soaked in teak oil but not finished.

B Hoover

Re: Newbe question about inserts
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 03:34:34 PM »
I've used walnut in several calls.  While there are other woods out there that will produce better tones, it does make a good call.  Wes would be the one to ask about glues.  I use Titebond II.  Make sure to let the glue joint cure for 24 hours before turning whether you are using a tenon joint or not.

Aaron Vice

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:30:20 PM »
For any wood to wood connection, i used Titebond III (Exterior...green bottle).

Offline Dan Smith

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:20:20 PM »
Thanks for responding to my questions. I always use a tenon joint when I can and I will try the Titebond III glue for exterior.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »

Most all of the old time calls were made from walnut or cedar. Walnut is fine for turning and practicing dialing toneboards. It has a reputation for moving over time, which will change how the call sounds.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 04:07:01 PM »
Stabilize the walnut first and it should not move. When you run out of walnut try maple. I buy it as dowels. Saves a lot of work. Almost any stabilized wood will make an acceptable insert and will hold its tune.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?