Author Topic: Question on toneboard trick  (Read 1961 times)

Offline S Hathcock

• New Forum Member
Question on toneboard trick
« on: February 09, 2016, 10:09:28 PM »
So there have been a few threads where I have seen some tricks when tuning your tone board. One of the tricks is to hold the very end of your reed down, then hold the call up to the light and look for gaps. I was just wondering what exactly this do? Does a gap between the tone board and reed cause problems or is this just used to find bumps and high spots?

Offline TM Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Question on toneboard trick
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:30:14 PM »
it could mean a couple things. One being you didn't turn your insert sq. Two there could be some air going under your tone board not up on the reed. Or it cold mean that your barrel isn't drilled straight It could mean the difference between a good call and one that goes into the trash. Taking your time and building a call that is near to perfect it the end goal. Takes a lot of time and good calling ability. I am still working on making my calls better, but in the end if it sounds good who gives a S.

Offline Jared at Woodruff Outdoors

• New Forum Member
    • Woodruff Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:04:19 PM »
Generally, if my call is squealing out, there is usually a low spot on my tone board.  I use this trick often, when doing my initial call tuning. 

Jared

Offline S Hathcock

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 04:11:16 PM »
Well I was wondering because I've been trying to use this trick but my calls haven't been turning out when it lays flat against the tone board the entire way. On my calls that do turn out decent when I hold the end of the reed down there is a slight gap from the front of the cork notch down about 2/3 of the reed. So that's why I'm confused about what its supposed to fix. But I can see where it would be good to find bumps or flat spots