Author Topic: Tutorial on making short reed guts?  (Read 13679 times)

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
Re: Tutorial on making short reed guts?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 09:32:31 PM »
thanks wade, i actually haven't gotten to it yet..but i still have your email....if its okay, after i look at the website i might email you with any more questions i could have.
God Bless, Pastor Dan

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
Also found this
http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php?topic=20124.0

The jig holds the blanks from the ends - the end clamp pushes the blank into the body of the jig, and you file down to the top surface... a little ingenuity and Id guess one could come up with some really fast ways to process guts off of a jig of this style.

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

BLKDOGS

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 10:41:14 AM »
Dan this is something many guys don't attempt to do. But once you get a set of guts and reed to honk. you will be very satisfied.

Last august (2015) I finally made up my mind to build my own guts and hand cut reed. I do follow Bob's process for the most part. Levi is a great source of info. He has let me bounce some thoughts off him.  I am far from an expert but if I could help let me know.

I did make my own jig, this is a picture or #1  and I them made a 2nd one with a couple changes, and after I ground to much of a ramp on #1.  :oops: I have made a jig to help cut the wedges consistently but have not had time to make a set of guts to see how it worked. it just a  piece of steel with a 5/8" hole drilled and cut about half the dia. of the hole off.

I have considered buying some reeds and using those but I keep thinking are they really my guts then? It would help the learning curve I am sure, but that is half the fun.  :wacko: :wacko:

Have fun, take your time, you will enjoy it.

B Hoover

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 02:50:28 PM »
That is slick Ron!  I had thought about making a jig, but wondered how to hold the tone board without risking damage to the ends (clamping lengthwise).  That solves that issue.

Offline Levi @ Wingtamer Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 09:16:07 PM »
Dan I sent you a PM so all you have to do is look at the top of the page and says my messages. Click on that and then you can reply to it.
Was originally goosetamer

Offline Levi @ Wingtamer Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 09:25:17 PM »
Here as little bit of how I do it.

The jig is one I designed and made myself.
Was originally goosetamer

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »
Wow!
Ron and Levi, thank you both for the pictures and help.  Ron, you said your jig aided in cutting the wedge? Could you explain a little more about that. I see clearly now how you clamp and hold the actual gut piece.  This looks like a good time! Ron, with the reeds being hand cut, are you able to keep that "exact" curvature of the rim ? Or are you using a punch system or something for that? I saw that wade makes punches for reeds....Levi, does your jig allow for cutting the correct angle on your wedge? And thank you again for the step by step pictures of the process.
God Bless, Pastor Dan

BLKDOGS

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 09:08:41 AM »
Wow!
Ron and Levi, thank you both for the pictures and help. 

Ron, you said your jig aided in cutting the wedge?
I made another jig to cut the wedges. I will try to get a pic of it for you tonight. it is a different jig, than the one pictured.

[/quote] This looks like a good time! Ron, with the reeds being hand cut, are you able to keep that "exact" curvature of the rim ? Or are you using a punch system or something for that? I saw that wade makes punches for reeds[/quote]

I am using .014 mylar from River Mallard. I used this round rule to draw the tip of the reed on the mylar. Cut the reed it out with scissors and use a nail file (emery board) to clean up the edge of the reed cuts and taper the corners back some. I traced a couple of good ones on a board and use a  pattern to cut the next ones. A bit crude but I get there. 
if I ever achiever the perfect reed I may make a pattern from some shim stock and use a exacto knife to cut. Who knows what will really happen.  :wacko: :wacko:

Good luck

BLKDOGS

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 10:38:38 AM »

here is my wedge jig. I drill a 5/8 blind hole and cut off part of the hole.
trim to length

turn on its side and push the material in towards bottom of hole to help hold in place. I do rest a push stick on the material to keep fingers away

Cut wedge will need some sanding to get it to fit correctly

Have fun and be safe

Offline DanNolen

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 10:05:56 PM »
Thanks Ron! these pictures are great!
God Bless, Pastor Dan