Author Topic: Getting the kids involved ( updated with pics)  (Read 4432 times)

B.Meuchel

Getting the kids involved ( updated with pics)
« on: January 23, 2016, 07:54:57 PM »
My son has to do a presentation at school. The subject can be anything he wants, so he decided he wanted to make a predator call for it. He has been watching me learn this art, blowing all the calls I turn out, and I absolutely love my kids showing an interest in anything that is not a video game. So today we made a tone board and a barrel and put everything together. He is only 10 so I used the power tools, but he did all the hand tool work and sanding. we still need to finish it and I'm thinking of an oil finish, maybe teak oil. We took pictures along the way so he should be able to put together a great presentation. I am still learning also so my calls still need a little tweaking here and there, but I think they are good enough for a 4th grade project. Hopefully it gets him in the shop with me more, that would be the ultimate reward.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:40:01 PM by B.Meuchel »

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: Getting the kids involved
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »
Great story!  I love it when my kids spend time with me in the shop.  Be sure to post some pics of the call.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:29:29 PM »
This is great!  I am anxious to see his results. 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

B.Meuchel

Re: Getting the kids involved (updated with pics)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »
Here are some pics of the call. Don't beat us up too bad we are working with the tooling I have available.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 05:43:23 PM »
No beating up.  We are here to learn and share.  At leas that is my take.  How does she run?  Any issues with locking up?   
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

B.Meuchel

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »
They run pretty good, the lock up on this one isn't horrible. That is my biggest issue I am working through designing my own tone boards. Getting the reed trimmed just right helped this one and my latest batch are even better. One of my favorite parts about making these calls is you never are done, there is always one more detail to play with.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Getting the kids involved ( updated with pics)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:21:21 PM »
Very nice!  :up1:
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
Re: Getting the kids involved ( updated with pics)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »
Sounds like your TB is evolving nicely and your learning the ins and outs of making them.  Don't be shy, show us your progress.