The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > General Call Making Discussions

spectrum analysis of how a call performs

(1/4) > >>

George Black:
Anyone ever do a spectrum analysis of how a call performs and at what frequencies are optimal? My engineering mind would like to have data

B Hoover:
I'm sure there are others in the forums, but here is an interesting test.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,20063.0.html

FDR:
I have a friend (another NASA engineer) who did a PSD(power spectral density) analysis on his turkey calls.  He recorded a bunch of live wild turkeys and ran the PSD analysis then tuned each of his calls to be right in the center of the frequency range.  They sound real good! All that is required is a mic and the right computer software.

Fred

Callen:
There was a journal paper I came across once- "Acoustical comparison between decrescendo calls of female mallards and mimicry by humans using artificial duck calls." I also checked out the accompanying thesis. I wasn't very impressed with the methodology or level of discussion within either, however.

Seems to me like some sort of psychoacoustic metrics could be applied here as well to capture parts of the call sound that we consider "good."

BLKDOGS:
Before I was bitten by this call making bug, I had visited Fred Zink's shop it's not far from my home. His employee gave me the VIP tour. it is a cool place, Their tuning room was all sound proofed and everything that had exactly what you are describing. They grabbed a insert push it in a barrel ran it seen the scale on the screen made adjustments and repeat. it was really cool!

just a short story about what I had seen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version