Author Topic: Pleased to be back at it.  (Read 3541 times)

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
Pleased to be back at it.
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:06:34 AM »
I got busy and took a long time to get un-busy.  So finally I was able to get back to the duck house.  Last Feb I went to canvas and smashed the Canada geese on an Amish farm.  I consider that a top ten hunts of my lifetime.  Concrete pit blind on a pond.  Well my host and I talked duck calls during the slow times.  He told me he cut hedge for firewood to keep his house warm.  I told him it was a good wood to make duck calls.  The last hunt of the trip he brought me some 100 year old fence posts.  It was really hard to find good wood in between the cracks ect.  5 pieces came apart on the lathe.  These are the final products I made for each member of the hunt. 
Teak oil finish, brass band. I love the blemishes in the wood.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Pleased to be back at it.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 12:13:11 PM »
Nice! The second one from the left is my favorite!

David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 12:13:15 PM »
Good looking calls!  I also like the blemishes that show up in wood calls.  Adds character you just don't get with man-made materials.

B Hoover

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:40:36 PM »
Great story and calls.  At first glance I thought the far right call had a fencing staple in it.  I thought "Wow, that had to be a little wild working around that."  Then I wondered who the brute was that pounded a staple into hedge.

Offline RVivian

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 08:46:17 PM »
Very nice calls.  I would love a gift like any of those.
RAY

Central Texas

Offline ken hubbard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 02:49:40 PM »
 Sweeeet !!!!!!!

Offline JUSTIN BERAN

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 11:56:55 PM »
VERY NICE LOOKING CALLS...GREAT JOB!!!

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
VERY NICE LOOKING CALLS...GREAT JOB!!!

Well thank you very much.  I was never a big fan of the Bois-De-Arc until I used the old fence posts.  Now I am a big fan.  I can't wait to get back to Kansas to pick up a truckload of the stuff.

Offline JUSTIN BERAN

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 12:04:38 PM »
Sorry for the late response but I am loving all the character in the wood of your calls...I like ideal of reusing old wood along with history of where it came from and what it was used for...to me it makes it more personalble...

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 08:59:59 AM »
Sorry for the late response but I am loving all the character in the wood of your calls...I like ideal of reusing old wood along with history of where it came from and what it was used for...to me it makes it more personalble...

It was to say the least a very memorable hunt for me.  I live west of Houston.  We see our share of weird things.  It is a whole different ball game to be in an Amish community, something I have never done.  All  the yards are perfect, shrubs were perfect, paint on the house conservative and perfect.  There was no junk laying around.  The people were extremely outgoing and pleasant.  The weird part is to see a cab over New Holland tractor hauling butt down the gravel road, with a bass boat on the back.  I swear he was doing 50 miles per hour, kicking up a dust cloud.  My host laughed at my dumbfounded look and explained.  The Amish can use electricity if they create it themselves in form of direct current.  So there milking barns are run by electricity created by the PTO driven generator.  Apparently this guy was headed to the lake 20 miles away and was ready to get there fast.  When we went to the restaurant in town, the parking lot looked like a used tractor shop.  We had one of the very few trucks in the parking lot.  I want to go back.