Author Topic: Convert my lathe to variable speed  (Read 1355 times)

B FERGUSON

Convert my lathe to variable speed
« on: November 28, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »
OK,
So I have a Jet mini lathe that is 14 years old, belt driven, and runs good, but really wanting to convert over to a variable speed  motor.
Has anyone converted their lathe over using a conversion kit ? if so, what brand and how did it work once you switched it over, how hard?
Really do not want to buy new lathe, but would be nice to be able to adjust speed instead of moving belt
Thanks

Offline RVivian

• New Forum Member
Re: Convert my lathe to variable speed
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:54:35 PM »
PSI has a variable speed that fits many different lathes.  I bought one for mine about a year ago and use it every day.
RAY

Central Texas

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »
I slso tried ghr convetdion to the psi kit. Workef very well for me. I had no complaints at all.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 12:32:41 AM »
Everything I have ever heard is that the conversion kit's power (torque) can disappoint you.

I know its quite the price difference, but Rikon has a nice looking 1hp variable speed now.

I have a variable speed comet II from Nova that I like a lot too that is 3/4 hp and still less than a Midi Jet. The Nova has reverse too, which I enjoy using for sanding.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls