Author Topic: High speed engravers  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
High speed engravers
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:12:01 AM »
Hey guys I'm in the market for a high speed engraver but I don't know which are good bad or indifferent . all the reviews I've read all say they are fragile and bad customer service for repairs . I'm just want to make the right purchase and only fork out the money once . any info positive or negative experiences is helpful thanks guys

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: High speed engravers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
I bought a PowerCarver (made by SCM) a couple years back and have had good luck with it.  That being said, the supplier I got it from has discontinued selling it due to issues they were having with them.  Based on what I've read on their site, I may be on borrowed time with mine, but so far it has performed flawlessly.  Looks like they have developed one to replace it, and it might be worth a look.  It seems to be priced reasonably and if mine craps out I'll probably get their new one.  I looked at the NSK as well but didn't like the maintenance requirements and bit change procedure....Especially at the price they fetch.

https://www.sculptingstudio.com/high-speed-carvers/power-carvers.html

The same place is a great place to buy burrs.  They're reasonably priced and they ship fast. 

One bit of advice:  Plan on spending around $100 to get a decent regulator (these run at 35-40psi) with a dial indicator and moisture trap, and to set up an assembly with valves to easily turn the tool on and off.  I mounted the regulator/moisture trap, valves and quick disconnect to a piece of phenolic sheet that stands up on my table, and I mounted magnets to it to hold all the burrs.  I bought my carver as a kit from the folks linked above, and frankly the little regulator and pinch shutoffs that it came with were not of a quality that I was willing to use to run this expensive tool.  They looked like Chinese party favors, and were of lousy quality. 

These tools are for small work, not hogging wood.  Can't emphasize that enough.  I use mine for signing my calls and it works incredibly well for that....Almost like using a pen.  I have tinkered with relief carving with it and it does a nice job, although it would be nice to have an electric tool as well for bulk removal.  Air consumption isn't too bad, but I wouldn't want to run it on a small compressor.  Anything medium sized should give you plenty of carving between cycles of the pump.  My 50 gallon compressor seems to never run out of air for this tool, although I don't use it for long periods at a time to be honest. 

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »

Your options are air powered or electric powered.

Air power has high rpm and fine detail.
Electric power has not as much speed, but quite a bit more torque. It still has enough for fine detail.

The major difference you will see is in the cut depth (torque capability).  Air power will cut a depth of around .02" at a time, where the electric will cut around .10".

I prefer the electric. I've tried both. The air also turns so fast, that a dull bit will burn the wood too.

Brian

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 07:20:59 PM »
Thank you for the information I've been so wrapped up with air carvers I haven't looked at many electric carvers . I have alot to look at there's just not that info out there. Thanks again

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 02:02:44 PM »
I bought the master carver and haven't found much I can't do with it. It's got a lot of torque and has a very convenient bit change out. It doesn't break the bank either.
Jeremiah

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 12:35:46 AM »
I also have the little blue master carver and I like it a lot. Also take a look at a razr wood burner. There is a lot of detail that can be done with the heads from it.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 06:00:45 AM »
I keep going back and looking at the master caver it seams it has enough of torque with a 1/2 hp motor and 30,000 rpms. And it comes with a detail and regular hand piece . the only thing that's holding me back are the handpieves they look very uncomfortable because of the bulk of the key Chuck for a bit holder. That was why I was liking the air engravers because of the comparability and the small aip hose wouldn't be pulling on the back end as much as a rotary shaft cable.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:24:16 AM »

Don't get a flex shaft tool. Get something like this:

http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/MICRO-PRO-CHAMPION-SET/productinfo/793800/

I have a previous generation model of this unit and it does almost everything I need it to do.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline jcluesman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 12:03:41 PM »
What Brian posted the link to is what I have and I love it. I don't think you'll regret it and that extra speed is the ticket. If your set up will only go to 30,000 RPM's then you'll be a bit limited to detail. The slower higher torque tools are harder to control.
I do plan on buying an air powered unit at some point for the higher RPM because I feel like I could get some finer detail but I still think I'd use my Master Carver unit more because I like to do deep relief carving and lots of undercuts.
Jeremiah

Offline Wes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 02:12:23 PM »

Don't get a flex shaft tool. Get something like this:

http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/MICRO-PRO-CHAMPION-SET/productinfo/793800/

I have a previous generation model of this unit and it does almost everything I need it to do.

Brian

A micro motor tool is more what you are wanting, a flex shaft machine is more for hogging off a lot of wood and are used more for decoys where there is a lot of wood to remove. And the real high speed air turbine type carvers just have no feel for what you are doing, they cut so fast you can't feel anything when you are removing wood. And like Brian said earlier if the bit gets the least bit dull they burn the wood.Also , the turbines are prone to burning out bearings , they run at such a high rpm if they get the least bit dry , the bearing is gone.

I own all three types of carvers and the Micro motor tools are the most suited for what you want to do. There are several good brands of them , but if you look close a lot of them all use the exact same brand of hand piece , and you are paying more or less depending on the brand for the control unit. Master carve is good, Ram, NSK, Foredom , ect there are a lot to choose from and like I said , most use the same hand piece and you are paying for the name of the brand more than quality.

Wes
There is a fine line between hobby  and mental illness .

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 07:18:57 AM »
That one is Brian's link is the one I was talking about too.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 12:05:33 PM »
That master craft one is the one i ordered . I figured I can start there . There are just a lot of options and thank you guys for all your input and steering me in a good starting direction .