Author Topic: A couple of finishing questions  (Read 2236 times)

aharstad

A couple of finishing questions
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:24:25 PM »
Hey all,
Just a couple of questions regarding two different finishing methods. First, I've recently started dipping in spar, and am super excited about what it looks like it COULD be. But, the results I'm getting are not of the quality I want. I've read a ton of the posts on here, and they've carried me this far, now just hoping to fine tune. I've done a few that i dipped in 50/50 spar/mineral spirits for two coats, then two coats straight spar. Then I've done a few with 3-4 coats just straight spar. "Decent" would be the highest rating I would give any of them, and I'm figuring its something I'm doing wrong. The process is just like the tutorial I saw on here, from what I can remember. Dip slow, hold, remove extra slow, hang at angle, wipe drip off, wait til dry, repeat. Am I missing something?

Second question, much shorter. Trying teak oil on my oily wood calls. Following directions on the can. Just wondering, how many coats should I do, and do I wait for it to dry, or just let it sit for a day or so and wipe off the excess?

I know I should post some pictures, and I did just create a photobucket account to do just that, but I also think it would be like trying to throw a curveball with Clayton Kershaw watching if ya know what I mean.

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
Re: A couple of finishing questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 10:42:23 PM »
It's been a long time since I've done a spar finish.  What kind of problems are you seeing?  Thin spots, hazy, bubbles?  It may help to diagnose your problem.

Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

aharstad

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »
Honestly, none of those things, maybe there's some thin spots? But I don't think so. Honestly, its just that they're not as "perfect" as I want them, and I'm just not sure how to get to that next level. I'll try to post some pics of a couple of them tomorrow for a diagnosis by the pros

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:56:17 AM »
I learned to do the spar dip finishes by reading through Brian Byers' tutorial.  Sounds like that's the one you're referring to. 

I don't do as many spar finishes now as I prefer the look of an oil finish.  But, when I am dipping in spar, after the first few coats I'll hit the call with some 600 grit and then wipe clean with a soft cloth.  Then I'll do a few more coats and hit it with 600.  I usually put at least 6 coats on and I get a really nice finish.

As for teak oil, I use Watco Teak oil as my predominant finish.  I'll soak the call for 24 hours, wipe it down inside and out, hang to dry for a day, and then buff it.  That's my approach but, I've seen a couple of guys on here who use teak oil and get a finish almost as shiny as CA or Spar.  Believe they are wiping it on while on the lathe and then hanging to dry then repeating for multiple coats.

Hope this helps.

aharstad

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:32:43 AM »
Definitely helps. With my spar, I've been lightly hitting it with some super fine steel wool between coats, and maybe a couple extra coats is all I need.

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »
I can't help with the spar, but my process with teak oil is as follows:
Sand through 400gr then wet sand with teak oil at 600 to fill open grain.
Lightly wipe with oil. Let sit for 24 hrs
Wet sand again with 1200 gr.
Lightly wipe with oil.  Let sit for 24 hours.
Spin on lathe and buff with cotton cloth. 
For low luster buff with paper bag.
For high shine use Tripoli, White Diamond then Carnuba.
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

aharstad

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »
I will definitely give that a try. Thanks!