Author Topic: Comp call differences, again  (Read 9071 times)

aharstad

Comp call differences, again
« on: October 22, 2015, 07:51:46 AM »
Hey guys,
I know this question was asked already, but I'd like to ask it again. My brother has decided that he wants to try some competitions in the future, and wants me to make him a comp call. From what I've read on here so far, its a tall order that is probably way over my head. But at the same time, I'm seeing it as a way to break from the routine I'm in of making the same thing in different shapes and colors over and over again, and try to make something truly my own. So my question is, what exactly makes these calls different? Bigger tone channel? Smaller? Wider tone board? Skinny?
I don't need anyones secret formula, then it wouldn't really be my own design. I would just like to know what I need to change from my standard hunting call.
Thanks!

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
Re: Comp call differences, again
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
Youre going to want to start with narrowing things down...  Main Street Comp?  Meat Comp?  Live Comp?
Main street is very very different from Meat and Live, and ones advise may be very wrong if applied to the wrong type of comp.

But be aware,  even the generic info youre asking about is likely going to be someone's secret thing...  Be it tone channel, barrel length, back bore, cork notch, lucky color, reed material, soundboard, and so on...  And in the end, its going to be a mix of everything that makes it work.

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

aharstad

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
It would be for a mainstreet type contest. Maybe I'll just have to start turning some out and let him pick one he likes and go from there.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »
Ive always been a proponent of "Jump in and see what the water is like"...  :gitrdone:

Course that has bit me in the keester a time or three too   :censored:... but I think on average I end up on the better side of the fence overall with that approach.

Main street is a tough animal to tame.  Reference the other thread that is basically the same question...

Sometimes the best thing to do, is to jump in, and as team (you and your brother), you both learn what needs to be done - both calling and call itself.  Youll get feed back in terms of scoring every time he competes.  Sure it takes time, but its likely the highest quality of feedback/information.

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

aharstad

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 02:03:10 PM »
Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 07:16:27 PM »
Not gonna discourage anyone from giving something like this a go but I will give a warning....its by far the hardest call to crack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Scott Ward

• New Forum Member
  • Steelbyrd
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 11:50:23 PM »
Aharstad, I like your mentality.  I've decided to refrain from using a toneboard jig, and learning a lot.  I figure if anything unique is going to happen, I should go about it differently.  Case in point; I had multiple requests for wood duck calls at last outdoor show, but had none to offer.  Tried JC, and thought they were pretty basic.  Months later, while attempting a mallard, I stumbled on to a very convincing 4 tone wood duck, I made of acrylic.  I was stunned at the quality sound.  Highly rewarding.
Steelbyrd

aharstad

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 07:24:57 AM »
That's kind of what I'm going for. Venture out and see what I find. If I get a good comp call out of it, awesome. If not, maybe I get a real good hunting call, maybe a couple of them. And at the very least, there will be that whole learning thing that seems to help too. :bigup:
Thanks everyone!

Offline Scott Ward

• New Forum Member
  • Steelbyrd
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »
My only boisdarc insert was "good enough" I thought for a first try as a double reed, but the cork notch base made the reeds lean to one side.  I considered leaving well enough alone, but after a about a week I threw caution to the wind, and filed more to make the reeds even at the top.  I also sealed the tone board with CA.  I now have a very good, much louder/crisper single reed mallard.  The CA made the notch smaller width wise, so a single reed fit - GLAD IT DID!
Lesson learned: Don't settle for average - File, sand & seal until a convincing duck comes out.   
Steelbyrd

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 12:53:03 PM »
I am a firm believer to not give up on a board until its broken beyond repair. By that I mean really, nothing left or broken.