Author Topic: My new toy  (Read 5205 times)

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• New Forum Member
My new toy
« on: September 21, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »

My new get up!  1.5 gallons. Sucks my inner jar that I am using only holds three blanks, may have to go to HL and look for a bigger vase but overall it's making its first batch at te moment.  I can't wait!!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: My new toy
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:30:33 PM »
I use plastic drink cups of various sizes from fast food restaurants. Set one of those in a margarine cup and add resin and blanks to the larger cup. The margarine cup catches the overflow.
I have the same setup as you and it works! Cook the result at 200F for 30-45 minutes.  Bingo.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 12:32:32 AM »
I bought a couple more glass jars just to keep it going. They are cheap at Hobby Lobby and have lids to keep stuff out. Also got more than one so that I could do different colors and keep them.

Soaking this first batch tonight. I will bake them in the morning and show the results.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 01:59:56 PM »

Little trial and error.  Note to self, @ 250 degrees, things spill out and smoke.  None the less, got the oven dialed in.  These take a little longer than I expected.  With almost 4 hours in the pot, a soaking over night and two hour bake this morning, takes forever when you only put in three blanks.

However actual hands on time is next to nothing, actual labor involved is next to nothing. I am stoked and have more soaking and more in the pot as I type this.

Pretty cool.  Can't wait to use this on those soft turkey calls more than anything.  A 4" wheel flying apart in the shop that was just AWESOME and is now in peices isn't something I want to deal with this year. 

On to the next!