Author Topic: FAIL!!  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Mike Richardson

• New Forum Member
FAIL!!
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:44:54 PM »
Some of you on GA might have seen this but thought I would share for those who are not.

FAIL!!

I guess I should have read all of Cost's direction on making a box call. I am still just practicing so I set my band saw up for the angles. Got that figured out. A little rough of a cut but that's what sand paper is for until I get my table saw. So I have my angles, drill all of my holes, chisel out the inside of the box, not to total finish but get it decent enough for just practicing.

I follow the directions and make my curve pattern. Draw it on the box. So I'm ready to "in my mind" to Hit the band saw and cut out this pattern. So I lay the blAnk down and start cutting her out.

LIKE A MORON!! I forget that I put the angle cuts on there.

As I read the directions on Neil's box call, My next step was to clamp the blank in a vise and chisel and file out the curve with a little left over.

GAME OVER!!

And a couple of hours wasted. Oh well start over again some day this week. I'm sure that all of you cost style box call guys have had your growing pains. A turkey hunter can never really appreciate a one piece box until they try and make on their selves. I know there are easier ways (drill press jigs and such) but I really wanted to follow Neil's instructions. Well I guess I should have read the book first.

Oh well I'm going to bed. Hope you all enjoyed this lesson on READING THE DIRECTIONS FIRST!!!!

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: FAIL!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:41:35 PM »
Man, that sucks! Looks like you're getting better though!
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
Re: FAIL!!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »
If you make calls long enough, you will make bone head mistakes.  Happens to everyone.  I cut a tone board out on my scroll saw and then realized I didn't drill the tone channel yet. :huh:
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain