Author Topic: A few barrels  (Read 7728 times)

builderone

Re: A few barrels
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 12:30:50 AM »
It sounds like the spindle if it does it with the drive spur on
Chad

builderone

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 12:34:13 AM »
I sent you a PM.
Chad

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 10:25:41 AM »
Sounds like a bearing issue in the head stock end?  Your drive spur tip and live center tip should be point-to-point.  Have all your turnings been [out of round]?  I certainly would gather my receipts and head back to Woodcraft and get another one. If your lathe is that new, it should have some sort of warranty? 

If your drive spur is rotating "around" your live center tip, you will never get straight without replacing parts. Could be, it was a complete manufacturing flaw on this particular lathe and it needs to be completely replaced?

Keep us posted. Hope you get it right soon. You'll not be happy until you are "spitting chips" again  :bigup:

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »
Being as the athe is only a couple weeks old, I would run it back to the store or manufacturer and get a new one. If you go to trying to fix it by replacing this and that then you rish the chance of voiding the warranty. Call the manufacturer and sk them what they want you to do.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »
That is what I am hoping is they will tell me to take it back to Woodcraft and get a new one, but I guess i'll see tommorow
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a trillion!!!!!

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 08:56:13 AM »
Before you lug it back....

It could be the drive spur, or more likely, something is interfearing with a good seat of the drive spur like a burr or some trash in the heaadstock. Misalinged bearings will not cause a rotation like you are describing, it will cause the two points to not line up, but it will not cause one point to rotate around the other. I'll bet there is something in the headstock keeping the drive spur from seating all the way correctly.

My $.02 worth.
June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 10:51:05 AM »
I checked for something in the headstock and it was clear. The drive spur is fine becasue I also checked it with the live center kit I bought. I checked these before I call Steel City, well I just got off the phone with Jim at Steel City and they couldn't have been a nicer bunch of guys, told me to take the lathe back to woodcraft and get a new one, no questions asked.  I called Woodcraft and they are calling to confirm, I don't want to drive a hour for them to tell me they aren't going to give me a new one. I love the waiting game

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 11:18:44 AM »
Just got off the phone with Woodcraft, he talks to a lady at SteelCity and tell her what Jim says, she tells him Jim never should have told me that but Woodcraft is going to take my lathe back. The lady at SteelCity say that if I am looking for that much accuracy with a lathe the SteelCity mini is not the lathe for me. WOW. Any suggestions on a new lathe that can meet my stringent accuracy needs? I thought the purpose of a lathe was to turn centered not wobble

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 12:07:52 PM »
Wow, sounds like Steel City is not the lathe for anyone that wants to turn nice stuff. Take it back and get the Jet mini with variable speed.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »
Got me a new Jet, nice. I thought the SteelCity was gonna be nice but all three they had at woodcraft did the same thing. Now I need to sell some stuff, I ran yhrough all my "mama don't know money"

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 09:30:32 PM »
Sounds like Steel City is selling lathes that would equal a hamster wheel for turning  :rofl:  Well, you won't have any problems with that Jet lathe.  Now, get to work and make some round things.... true round things that quack and honk and yelp and squeak and squal  :yes: :yes: :yes:

Mutt~
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 09:43:43 PM »
I already got it set up and turned one on it, I got my flat jig today and screwed my first tone board up :clap: I decided to cut it with my coping saw becasue I didn't want to walk back out to my shed, and I cut the part where the cork goes downhill, no bueno. Oh well try again tommorow, I can't believe I didn't throw everything as far as I could ( I have a tendacy to run low on patience with the little things) but it didn't bother me at all, maybe I found something that is relaxing. Thanks guys for all your help, ya'll are top notch

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Exactly which Jet did you end up with?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
the 1014, I wanted the 1220 but they didn't have it plus I didn't have the funds, maybe it will be next, anybody need a kidney, liver, spleen, lung?

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 11:10:56 PM »
Is this the variable or not?
Braz