Author Topic: A few barrels  (Read 7726 times)

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
A few barrels
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:03:47 PM »
I am just getting started, I tried making my own mandrels, but I think I messed something up, thay hold great but I think they are a little off, the sides where the barrel is bored is off ( one side is thinner than the other) I guess that is the best way to describe it, although these wont see a lanyard i'll post the pictures anyway

Please don't tell Obama what comes after a trillion!!!!!

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: A few barrels
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:39:36 PM »
Nice looking shape on those barrels. I would like to see some pictures of the ends of those calls to see what you kind of problem you are experiencing.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »
A couple of the calls look like they are leaning. Are you marking the end of the blocks for center before drilling and is it coming out the other end centered?  Are you turning on a stubby mandrel or are you using a longer one with the tailstock?

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline daren99

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:53:23 PM »
I like the shapes. I had the same problem when I was using a wood mandrel, I assume I was pushing to hard. I got my pin lock from builderone on here and don't have that problem any more. :bigup:
Daren

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 01:10:05 AM »
I'll post some pictures tommorow of the ends, it is a steel mandrel, I don't know if when I tapered it, its off center or what. When I turned them I used a live center on my tailstock. Could it be I tightened in down to much? Like I said, I am new to turning and making calls, I am waiting on my flat jig from webfoot, so I am just practicing on some barrels. As far as drilling I am drilling on my lathe, using a chuck jaw and drill chuck. I am going to have to get a drill press, it seems it would make it alot easier. It did seem that teh hole was a little off center when I drilled. Could that be my problem?  Maybe the pictures will help

ben

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »
I drill all my blocks on the lathe and rarily have one to be perfectly centered. When turned on a mandrel with a live center tail stock it still should be round when it is turned and the hole centered.

A couple things to look at. Is the tail stock centered to the head stock.?? Points on the centers aligned when slid together. Mandrel bent if metal, even a mandrel of metal can have too much pressure from the tail stock and cause deflection which would make the hole off center and last how is the fit of the barrel to the mandrel, should be snug but can push on by hand. If the mandrel is running in an oval when turning then the hole is going to be on one side closer than the other.

Hope this helps.

ben

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 09:43:13 AM »
Ben, if you can find some #2 MT drill bits for your live center end, your job will be come easier.  It was mentioned already, but make sure your tail stock and head stock are aligned.  Are you using a 4 jaw chuck on your head stock?  That is a good place to start.  You wood needs to be as centered as possible prior to turning.  I always drill first and turn down to my bore.  Your mandrel should not be the problem. I've turned on home made wooden pin mandrels and do just fine.  Sounds to me like you may have a slight alignment issue?  Kepp us posted... maybe we can get you "straight"....... pun intended  :rofl:

Jeff

Mutt Game Calls
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 01:10:55 PM »
I think it is my lathe, when I put the head stock and tail stock that came with the lathe the are not touching at center. When I hand turn the head stock there is a revolution around the tail stock. Is there a way to adjust this? I called Woodcraft and they directed me to the Steel City customer service department :gun_bandana:. It wouldn't bother me so bad but I finally got everything I need to get started turning my barrels and now I have to wait until freaking monday to talk to someone. I just was dumb founded at the lack of help from woodcraft, you thin they would be willing to help you with the amount of money I have spent in the last few weeks. Thanks for ya'lls help and info

Offline RookieCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 05:59:38 PM »
Don't worry man, those are some fine looking barrels you made!!
I'm sure you're able to fix that problem, just keep doing calls, you're making dang good job!! :bigup: :bigup:

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »
Don't throw them barrels away!  They look fine. Tell your customers you meant for them to be that way because it makes a different sound  :rofl:  Seriously, those pictures show no reason for alarm to me.  Not sure how to tell you how to fix your alignment issue without seeing it or knowing exactly what is going on?  Is it a side-to-side issue or up & down issue?  Is it a new lathe?  Woodcraft should offer more help!

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »
It is actually rotating all the way around the tail stock, kinda like the tail stock is the sun and the head stock is the earth. I think at one point it actually is correct but the rest of the time it is outside the center point.  Yes it is a new lathe, about two-three weeks old, maybe 6 things turned on it. We'll see what happens

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 10:11:25 PM »

I agree, the barrels don't look too out of round.  Most people wouldn't even notice if you don't bring it up.  But you are on the right track to get it fixed. :bigup:

What kind of lathe do you have?  Can you post a pic of the lathe headstock, chuck, and mandrel that you are currently using?  I accidentally bent my Bealle collet chuck (my fault  :hammer:) and when I put on a new collet chuck, the mandrel still had some orbiting issues.  I found that when I bent my collet chuck, I also bent my spindle.  I changed out the spindle on my Jet mini, and was back in business.

Did you use your drive spur to check alignment with the live center?  A pic of how you checked the centerlines would help as well.

You either have something bent or out of tolerance.  But we will help you get everything back and squared away in no time.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 12:12:06 AM »
Steel City 60170 5 speed, I will take some pictures tommorowand see if they help.  I did check the alignment between the drive spur and live center, they drive spur rotates around the live center on the tail. I have a collet and checked it with my mandrel I made and then some straight stock and it still wobbles. How could I have bent the spindle? Thanks again

builderone

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 12:16:22 AM »
It sound like it is bent to me.
Chad

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 12:27:37 AM »
Mandrel or Spindle?