Author Topic: Being loyal to the forum  (Read 11172 times)

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
Re: Being loyal to the forum
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 08:31:50 PM »
I think Aaron nailed it. I would add:
This is the place where callmakers gather and that is not likely to change any time soon. I am willing to bet that traffic on THO is invariably less during the summer than other times of year, year after year... Primarily because the vast majority of members here focus on duck calls. There is nothing quite so comprehensive in the world of call making as this amazing site. At some point, though, one's ability to contribute new things diminishes to a level that reduces interaction.

I'm still waiting for Henry to finish up that Reelfoot woodie call.................
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 12:08:02 AM »
At some point, though, one's ability to contribute new things diminishes to a level that reduces interaction.

I OFTEN think about this Joe.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 05:29:16 AM »
I'm not a call maker but I have learned a lot about working on a lathe here. You guys are the best there is & I don't just mean that from the calls you make. It has a lot to do with your willingness to take the time to put "trade secrets" into type on these pages. Paying it forward so to speak.

If the tricks of any trade aren't shared in an organized manner such as these Forums they become lost knowledge.

Thanks to Al & the whole team & the entire membership for creating something more than just a call makers forum!!
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Lance Chapman

• New Forum Member
  • Reclamation Game Calls
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 10:27:51 AM »
I was thinking that same thing about this last week.

When I got started a little over a year ago, I was glued to this site like a feening crackhead.  This place is the "Holy Grail" of call making.  But posting traffic doesn't necessarily meaning lurking traffic.  I lurked for 10 months before I had the balls to start posting, because I was originally barrel stuffing, and didn't want to muddy up the water with dumb questions.  All of the answers are here, and it does take time, and more time, and a note book, and throwing things, and watching a call blow up in your face when you are almost done, and almost crying, and starting over... 

Call Nutz and DCE weren't near the juggernaut that they are now.  And most of the members that are on THO are also members of them.  And that's primarily the ones that I interact with.

If it weren't for THO, I would have never meet or become friends with Wingert, Eason, Hadden, Whitson, Mac, DePeel, Azbell and Neidens.  These are guys that I now interact with on an almost weekly basis.

THO will always be home, but FB and Instagram will be my Mistresses!!

Offline SG Watkins

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 10:02:05 PM »
I do more reading on the forum than posting.  I am on Facebook mainly to keep up with family and really do not post any calls I make on there.  THO is a great source of information but.......if THO was a easy to post pictures as Facebook, it would make it easier for me to be more involved,with THO.    I do not make these calls for a living and sometimes feel intimidated to show something that does not even compare to some of the greats on this site.   Just my two cents worth. 

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
... and sometimes feel intimidated to show something that does not even compare to some of the greats on this site. 
This is probably a thought shared by most, what it does not mean is that you have nothing to contribute. I certainly don't make calls as pretty as Robert A. or BigB but I have a lot of creative solutions that many call makers lack. Bottom line is, it takes all kinds and we are all better for it.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
X2, Joe!

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »
Lifelong friends come from this website.   :beer:

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 02:15:40 PM »
If you would like a pat on the back, or a "that sounds great man!"  Facebook is the place to go. 
If you want someone to tell you you're an idiot and don't have a clue, Facebook does that also!
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
This has been THE greatest site for budding call makers.  I've been able to PM and call experienced call makers about this art.  I've learned tons, but I always try to approach advice respectfully from those that have slugged through things the hard way. From my perspective, you guys and gals are the greatest even if we don't get as many photo posts lately (my summer has been crazy, but I've got over a dozen turkey calls to build). Thanks to the legacy members that helped all of us newbies.
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 11:02:09 PM »
  I am on Facebook mainly to keep up with family
   :hysterical:  my three bickering sisters we're the reason I cancelled my Facebook account last year!
The more I look at the call pages on Facebook the more I realize the trends and latest hot thing in calls.
But the longer I look at it the more it strikes me as homogenized.  Everybody doing their version of the latest thing.  Nothing wrong with ithe really, just seems like there's more diversity around here.

THO is "home".  It's the place to share ideas and theories.   Ask a question and get a legitimate response.
If you want a no BS opinion and an honest critique this is the best place on the Web to find it.  Top that off with having a huge variety of call makers that want to help you get better.

And I like it here.

Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline Brian Watts Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 10:18:37 PM »
Lifelong friends come from this website.   :beer:

AMEN  :bigup:

I donot make duck calls but do turkey call. this is the first site I go to every day if I can because of the great people here..

barenn

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 01:21:08 PM »
This site is second to none, where else could one gather the amount of information and answers for questions I and others have asked, input, recommendations etc on the web. There are so many knowledgeable craftsmen / artists on this site. I do not post much but do faithfully check every day as this is a hobby for me.

B FERGUSON

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 12:19:14 PM »
I really enjoy this site. I have met some good guys on here. One of them is Mac, who helped me and showed me how to make a turkey call. I will not forget how nice he was to invite me to his house and take up most of his New Years Eve day so he can show me how to make a pot call.
You do not find many like Mac.
I will not renew my sponsor on the refuge, and looking for more ways to get calls out there for hunters to see.
But the info on here are like a huge library, so much knowledge and info and guys that are willing to help others out.
I have not been on here lately due to back issues, but starting to get out and turn some calls slowly.
This site is above the rest, I will say I learned a lot from CCO, but learned more here and guys here are great to talk with.

Offline Randy Byrd

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 08:58:45 PM »
I love the THO format. First and foremost I love making things...especially something I can use. This forum has been a real source of inspiration and learning for me. Social media does not compare. The knowledge on here is amazing, I don't think I have ever read a post where someone didn't know the answer. You can tell by reading most posts the guys on here are wood-workers first, and selling calls is just a by-product of that passion. If I never sell a call, I will be making them and giving them to friends family etc. THO gets a BIG  :bigup: from me!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:15:08 PM by Randy Byrd »
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” ― Albert Pike