Author Topic: #1 checkered call  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Daniel Putnam @ Bayou Built Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: #1 checkered call
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »
Thanks Mr. Joe, it was a learning experience at the least!
Few things I learned!
-lighting is your best friend.
-don't burn yourself out on it. If you get bored with it, put it down and come back later. (Made quite a few mistakes trying to finish it in a hurry)
-Sharp cutters are a must.
-BLO makes for a pretty good cutting oil.
-beer and checkering don't mix. (Again more mistakes haha)
-read Big B's tutorial and then read it at least 4 more times including all the comments!
Thanks for all the comments guys, and thanks for all the wonderful info you all have shared with all the youngsters including myself!

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 11:13:19 PM »
Daniel, great job on the checkering!  Your horizontal rows of diamonds show some great craftsmanship. Very well done, because that is extremely hard to accomplish, and I'm very impressed that you have accomplished this on this first call that you have done.

One thing that will make it a bit easier on you, will be to not have your panels so wide. They are about as wide as they are long, which makes it harder to checker. Try a 4 panel instead of a 3 panel since you are limited on your length on this style of call, and see if that makes it a bit easier to checker.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Daniel Putnam @ Bayou Built Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 11:33:17 PM »
Really appreciate it Mr. Brian! I will definitely go with four panels on the next one and I've got some 16 lpi cutters on the way as well. I did have a lot of trouble with the wide panels and the curvature of the call as far as keeping my lines straight. I think it took me longer to try and get my electrical tape laid down straight than it actually took to checker the darn thing.  I didn't even think about four panels making that easier on me as far as width hahaha! Thanks!