Author Topic: Sinker cypress  (Read 5695 times)

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
Sinker cypress
« on: July 17, 2015, 03:28:14 PM »
It has been a long journey to build this call I contacted a company that pulls logs when wood is ordered so to get some pieces call size I had to wait until some one ordered a log and I could get the cut offs which became a problem all in its self as the ends are very cracked so it took quit a bit to get some pieces for calls but the wood came with certificate of authenticity and the exact location of where the log was pulled . the piece this reelfoot call was made from was cut by hand in the 1890's and was lost down the river in Harry county south Carolina . the color in the mud and mineral stained wood us very unique. Thanks for looking

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
Re: Sinker cypress
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
Awesome find and excellent work.
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 11:02:41 AM »
That is a slick call Ryan!  The CA finish really shows of the grain and unique color of the wood.
 :bigup:
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 10:59:18 PM »
Ryan, that would be Horry County. I'm sure autocorrect fouled it up for you. That cypress is very unique and I've been lucky to get a good bit of it myself.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 07:43:45 AM »
Yes Chris it is Horry county when you use Cypress did you stabilize it ? Its got a density kind of like a harder ceder. I guess it won't hurt to try.

ben

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 10:10:15 AM »
Very nice call.

I got some sinker cypress from La. and it was not colored like that but plain as in cypress mostly. I only got 4 pieces and intended to turn a Reelfoot but it chipped away and split out. Tried an Ark. style and when I started turning the lip rest it broke out. Had a piece stabilized to make another Ark. style but have not turned it so will see how it turns out.

My wood was kiln dried and no ribbons from turning just chips very light in weight.

I had used some new cypress in the past and it done very well but just a soft wood.

ben

B Hoover

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 05:12:49 PM »
Nice job Ryan.  Looks like you have the Reelfoots down.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 07:39:19 PM »
I enjoy making reelfoot calls more than any other partially because it took so much effort and researching the old calls to really appreciate what the first call makers went through to design what we try and replicate today. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Offline mmaloney

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:00:05 AM »
Thats a cool piece of wood and awesome story.  Nice job.

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 01:19:20 PM »
Yes Chris it is Horry county when you use Cypress did you stabilize it ? Its got a density kind of like a harder ceder. I guess it won't hurt to try.

I didn't, but that was also back in the day when stabilizing wasn't talked about, so I didn't know any better.  I just held my breath and took light cuts until it was done.  I wouldn't touch the stuff now unless it was stabilized.  Now, here's the problem.  You better cut it a lot bigger than what you need the blank to be because of shrinkage during stabilizing.  The other problem is that sometimes, the piece will literally implode due to the softness of the wood and the pressure being applied.  I'm sure it won't be as bad for the guys that use home stabilizing, but I send my pieces out to K&G so it would definitely be an issue. 

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »
thanks for the heads up. :beer:

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 09:50:13 PM »
The key to a good stabilizing job is moisture content. You want the wood to be dry, the dryer the better.
I have had wood professionally stabilized that had been in my shop attic for 20 years and had it implode.
I finally realized that the wood probably had a moisture content of 10-20% just because of living in the humid south. I would send that special piece of wood to someone who would check the moisture content and  dry it if needed before stabilizing the piece.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:04:41 AM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »
The key to a good stabilizing job is moisture content. You want the wood to be dry, the dryer the better.
I have had wood professionally stabilized that had been in my shop attic for 20 years and had it implode.
I finally realized that the wood probably had a moisture content of 10-20% just because of living in the humid south. I would send that special piece of wood to someone who would check the moisture content and  dry it if needed before stabilizing the piece.

I've gotten to the point where I started storing it in the house to cut down on this God awful humidity problem.  Deep South problems