Author Topic: Jet 1014VS compared to the newer Jet1220  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Truefire

• New Forum Member
  • whistling wings stir the soul
    • www.quackycalls.com
Jet 1014VS compared to the newer Jet1220
« on: July 05, 2015, 02:47:44 AM »
I have owned a variable speed Jet 1014 for years and still love it.  I have noticed the newer Jet1220 on the market some time ago but it doesn't necessarily appeal to me in any of it's amendments.  Although, the bed does appear to be heavier and have more mass than the 1014, I'm wondering just how much more?

What was a huge turn off from day one on this newer model is the variable speed control knob and on/off button having been moved to the lower right leg of the machine.  That just makes no sense from an engineering means nor a user-friendly design approach to have the control knob and on/off button on the same side as a tooled hand.  Without tossing around stats, I'm confident in saying that the vast majority of end-users would be right handed.  Not only from a user friendly standpoint in that its highly inconvenient to manipulate control knobs with the same hand one is holding a fingernail gouge in.  But, it is unsafe if one needs to turn off the machine in a moment of distress.  "Hello, I'm holding my gouge in this hand!" 

Does removing the control box from the head of the machine really make changing the belt / pulley mating that much easier that Jet would make such an amendment?  Or is this just another one of the 'its a new year we have to make some changes' or were the engineers just bored?   :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:52:20 AM by Truefire »
quackycalls.com
   custom duck and turkey calls

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
Re: Jet 1014VS compared to the newer Jet1220
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 06:53:43 AM »
guess its all what you get used to.  Once you get accustomed to it, I'm sure it will be second nature.  I remember at the Kansas City Turnathon using Aarons lathe, and the switch was in the lower right like what your saying, and I, at the time didn't have a lathe, but a shop smith.  Its' switch was on the head stock and always to the left, and up high.  I was constantly reaching with my left had to turn it off.  Felt awkward.  Now I have an older Jet VS with the switch on the left, and I must say, it is easier for me.  Still finding myself reaching high tho to turn it off.  But Aarons, was hard to get use to.  I guess one could mount the jet to a bench or something, and mount a switch to the bench using it to turn the lathe on and off.  just a thought.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »
Jet's switches are notorious for going out. Less chips going directly on the switch over to the right. Any place they put it, you will get used to it being there eventually. Since my Nova is also on the right, I now have the tool in my left hand and work the switch with my right. Love that variable speed knob for easy speed changes!
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »
I had a 1220vs and went to the 1221vs, so having the switch on the right was hard to get used to.....For about three days.  Now I can't stand having it on the left.  Your mind will easily adjust its habits.  I think they changed it just to change it, but it is a much better potentiometer system than what was installed on smaller/earlier models..............

The variable speed range on the 1221vs is so great that you will never need to adjust a belt setting.  I have never changed the belt setting from the way it came from the factory because it will go from under 100rpm to well above 3000rpm by just turning the knob.  That feature alone makes it well worth the additional price and makes what seemed like an inconvenience early-on quite tolerable.

The bed is significantly beefier/wider.  Doesn't matter for calls but nice to set stuff on.  My guess is that it is as least 30% wider than my 1220 was.

My 1220vs ate switches like crazy but the switch on the newer lathe is different and hasn't missed a beat.

I'm a huge fan of this machine. 

Offline Lance Chapman

• New Forum Member
  • Reclamation Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 10:26:13 PM »
I echo Aaron's sentiments on this machine.  I've had mine since Thanksgiving, and wouldn't trade it for another.

And being LEFT Handed, I've had NO issue with the switch being on the right.

It's about time, that they got some lefty tools on the market!!!  Now, trying to get around and in front of that thing while making Turkey Pots, and trying to hold the gouge in the left hand is not something for the faint of heart.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 11:18:02 PM »
I also echo what Aaron said...   I've had mine for a whole 2.5 days. Best $800 I've ever spent.

I am used to the switch on my Big Nova (left side) but I didn't have a problem with the right side switch..... 
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Truefire

• New Forum Member
    • www.quackycalls.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 09:31:16 PM »
Cool news.  Thanks. 

Aaron, that is great news to hear regarding the potentiometer upgrade.  That is one facet about my 1014 that I have never liked, the potentiometer functionality.  Noticeable spindle variation doesn't begin until after turning knob adjustment 1/3 of its travel.  From that point on I receive rpm variation but prior to that, its all a big loss.  Nothing.  That is the first time that I have heard from any forum / product review regarding that one element.  That is great, great news.  That alone could potentially be a great reason for me to overlook the right side control panel.

As ironic as it is, I just so happen to visit a friend's shop today and he has several lathes.  One of which is the Jet 1220...I was amazed at the pulley / belt upgrade comparative with the 1014.  I honestly wasn't expecting such an upgrade.  I was actually quite impressed with Jet on this one:  the pulley sizing and their composition and belt upgrade have me smiling.   

If someone would just move that daggone control panel, I would be sold. 

I know I could probably-- well I'm certain I would, indeed get used to it, like most other things in life..."after the adjustment".  I'm gaining a little age in life and oft times buck changes.  LOL! 

Vector, -less chips- going into and near the switch.  I can attest to that one.  My model has an ordinary toggle switch and there have been many times after lengthy turning episodes where my switch fails to turn on  or off simply due to dust buildup inside the cup the toggle sits in. 

-  'The 1220 ate switches'  Wonder why this is, are others having that same issue?  Is it just cheap switches or is it a board problem (control voltage too hot feeding switches) causing premature fail or do we know?

- The 1221.  Is the bed really just 1" longer or has the tailstock been redesigned to accomodate 21" between centers?  "21" - that sounds like that might have been for furniture makers - sounds like the average for chair legs.  At anyrate, interesting...Jet can pick up a slightly larger market by doing so I guess.

- Does the increased bed mass work well when turning off-centered pieces or irregular shaped pieces? 

I understand the lathe has the capability to be mounted on a stand.  So, I am guessing there are tapped holes in the underside of the legs which would accommodate bolting to a bench or counter? 

Thanks fellows.  ~chris

-
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:35:04 PM by Truefire »
quackycalls.com

Offline Truefire

• New Forum Member
    • www.quackycalls.com
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »
Oh yeah, one more quick question.   I wonder if the potentiometers which are being installed in the 1221 would work with the 1014 board?  I would love to find out but not really wanting to pop something on my board to do so. 

I sure would love to be able to gain greater rpm variation on the model that I already have.
quackycalls.com