Author Topic: 40 Seasons Together!  (Read 4923 times)

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
40 Seasons Together!
« on: July 01, 2015, 07:57:36 PM »
Recently I had someone contact me, asking to make a call to commemorate his and his hunting buddy's 40th duck season together  :eek:  :bigup: I decided to try something different, and wanted to show you all what's in the works.  I can't decide if I want it to look like a reelfoot or something just a little more modern. I asked for his opinion as well. If this weren't for a customer, what do you folks think I should do with it?  I'm kind of having a turner's block trying to come up with something new for a shape or style.
http://kmcalls.webs.com/

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
Re: 40 Seasons Together!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
See what their first call was and replicate that shape and make them a match set

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:06:10 AM »
I really like that idea!  I'm trying to get ahold of the gentleman to see what one or two of their original calls were.  Thanks for the advice!

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:26:17 AM »
I like that idea too.  Will be waiting to see the final call!

Is that a molded toneboard?

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:36:33 AM »
Sounds like he just wants one shaped like a reelfoot, so I guess that's what I'll go with.  I've never had a call engraved before, but he's looking to get it personalized.  I think I'll be getting ahold of Ron Gould as soon as the customer knows what he wants engraved.  Will post back when call(s) is/are complete.  Yes, that is a molded toneboard that I turned down to slip into a drilled-out block.  I'm still working on my own inserts but haven't perfected them yet, so this is how I'm doing it for now.

P.S. - I hope that making a call using an insert like I am and making it resemble a reelfoot isn't committing a call maker's sin!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:20:40 AM by lazyMlazyK »

Brett@BBOGGC

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
I think you have a good plan to get started, so long as you don't try to sell off that it is your own custom insert you should be ok, not to say you have to over state that it is a cut down sleeved echo either, just be honest which sounds like you are. I encourage you to check with Ron as he is the band master, but if you need a one off aluminum or brass band engraved jewelry style I can do those, but not the anodized bands. We also have tone board jigs, mandrels and turning blanks when you get ready to plunge into the next step, but I will warn you it is additive and can drive you mad lol

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:24:34 PM »
Oh I'm not trying to market it as my own tone board.  I do have a public jig already just have to work on my fine tuning. I've had some bands done by Ron before and he is great to work with, just thought I'd try something a little different here with the wood band. Thanks for letting me know about your products too though.

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 08:04:41 PM »
Well I think she's ready for engraving!  What do ya'll think?

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »
Basic and clean . I like it. Dose it have a finish on it . check with your engraver but I think most engrave right through a finish.

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 11:36:52 PM »
Thanks!  It is simple, but for some reason that shape just is really growing on me!  Nope, no finish yet. I thought that it would probably have to be engraved without a finish on in case it might cause a flare up or small uncontrolled burn...not sure what that's called.  I'll give Ron a jingle tomorrow if he's available.

Brett@BBOGGC

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
That turned out nice!

Offline lazyMlazyK

• New Forum Member
    • KM Calls
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »
Here she is, polished up and waiting for an idea to engrave

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 10:04:32 PM »
Sweet!
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 12:31:49 AM »
Looks like you did a great job on the sanding which resulted in a flawless finish

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »
I love it!!