Author Topic: Yotehntr's "Top Shelf"  (Read 5522 times)

Yotehntr

Re: Yotehntr's "Top Shelf"
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 07:51:45 PM »
Hey Brian, I love the smell!...  :rofl: Seriously though the ramp was a bit of a pain to sand out and polish after cutting. I had to spend quite a bit more time with it than I do with just about anything else. What surprised me most was the sound seems sharper, a little more crisp I guess is the only way I can explain it. This was my second toneboard with the horn and I thought the first one may have just been one of those things. The 2nd (this one) is the same way though. I've never noticed much difference on materials before but it is noticeable with the horn.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 07:36:18 AM »
I think you will find that delrin, wood, plastic, acrylic, horn, they all have their own unique sound when used as a tone board.  I think - and no I can't prove it - but I think it has to do with the way the reed vibrates and frequency it vibrates at with different materials.  I think the softer materials, like delrin, will slow the reed down somewhat while the harder more dense materials speed it up and cause it to vibrate faster.   

I got a couple of calls from BigB and they were very loud and clear sounding calls.   As I wrote him, I think the material he uses for his tone boards is the biggest factor.   One of these days I am going to make one out of aluminum and brass just to see what it does.  I think it will be rather like an acrylic tone board.   We will see.   

AL @ THO

Yotehntr

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 05:26:55 PM »
I believe your on to something there Al. When I think about it with the other materials I use there are slight differences, it just seemed more pronounced with the horn than I've ever noticed before. Kind of made me stop and look for some other difference. The horn seems to be softer than I expected, (compared with antler I usually use) I cut my ramp 1st and had a little trouble getting the blade out. LOL had a tug of war going, wasn't sure I'd win. Then I was worried I'd melted in, but all was ok. I've shipped the call off now, but as I remember the "response" when I started blowing on the call was even a little unique. I think that's where I came up with the "crisp" part of my description. I think I'm going to have to make myself one...just to see if the coyote's like it.  :yes:

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 07:11:49 PM »
Again, this is just an idea, but I think one of the big differences with horn is that if you look at it, the fibers in it grow straight and lengthwise.   I wonder if that plays a part in horns unique sound?  I think the fibers in the horn "carry" the sound as the air flows in the same direction as the fibers and allows the reed to want to vibrate in the same direction making for a concentrated direction of energy?  If that makes any sense?   I guess what I mean is that it just all flows the same way when you blow on the reed.   With other materials, like acrylic and delrin, you dont have that flow as the material is solid and uniform in it's density.  The natural fibers in the horn, along with the fact that they grow in a straight line, allow or even force the air to move just a bit quicker and vibrate the reed just a tad bit faster giving it that nice clear crisp sound. 

Anyway, it's just a thought - I really have no idea but I do know there is a difference in sound from one material to another.   Figuring out why is probably not as important as knowing how to put those differences to use when making a call for a specific sound.

Still, one heck of a nice looking call.

Al @ THO

Amerflyer48

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »
I'm hoping 2 things...

1. you decide to do calls like this again sometime....

2. I can find some cool wood to send you..

Awesome calls,...

John

Yotehntr

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 01:12:13 AM »
LOL! Thanks John! Don't know if you realized it but I'm just down the road from you. I'm in Murfreesboro.

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
WOw, your just UP the road from me yote, I'm down near shreveport. i go up tht way once in awhile too. :bigup:
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Yotehntr

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 09:16:42 PM »
Hey Brian that's Murfreesboro TN. I saw he lived in Nashville.

Amerflyer48

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »
 :gun_bandana: next time I head to the 'Boro I'll give you a shout... :2guns:

Yotehntr

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »
 :bigup: